The School of Environment, Earth and Ecosystem Sciences is offering Full-time PhD Studentships at Open University in the UK. CENTA studentships are available to UK and EU applicants who qualify for NERC awards.
The Open University, established by Royal Charter on 23 April 1969, is the leading university for flexible, innovative and world-leading research in the United Kingdom and in over 100 countries worldwide. Uniquely placed to understand the needs of part-time students, combining their learning while earning, our innovative, award-winning distance teaching credentials have seen over 2 million students receive an education, otherwise denied to them at campus-based universities.
User Review( votes)
If English is not your first language then you will need to show that your English language skills are at a high enough level to succeed in your studies.
- Applications Deadline: January 21, 2019
- Course Level: Studentships are available to pursue PhD programs.
- Study Subject: The projects fall within our five interlinked themes:
- Palaeoenvironmental Change
- Dynamic Earth
- Earth System Modelling
- Educational Research
- Scholarship Award: These projects are funded from three sources: (1) The Central England NERC Training Alliance CENTA; (2) The Open University; and (3) The Global Challenges Research Fund from UK Research and Innovation. These studentships are fully funded for 3.5 years, covering tuition fees (at UK/EU level) and provide a stipend of £14,777 per year.
- Nationality: CENTA studentships are available to UK and EU applicants who qualify for NERC awards.
- Number of Scholarships: Numbers not given
- Scholarship can be taken in the UK
Eligibility for the Scholarship
Eligible Countries: CENTA studentships are available to UK and EU applicants who qualify for NERC awards.
Entrance Requirements: Applicants must meet the following criteria:
CENTA studentships are available to UK and EU applicants who qualify for NERC awards (see UKRI Terms & Conditions for further guidance about eligibility for NERC funding). Studentships funded solely by The Open University are available to students of any nationality subject to the acquisition of a Tier 4 visa.
A first degree at grade 2:1 or equivalent in a relevant science subject is required. A Masters degree (MSc or integrated MSci) or equivalent experience is desirable.
English Language Requirements: If English is not your first language then you will need to show that your English language skills are at a high enough level to succeed in your studies.
How to Apply: We strongly advise you to contact the lead supervisor of the project(s) that interests you before submitting an application.
Please attach the following items to your email: (1) a cover letter outlining why the project is of interest and how your skills match those required, (2) your CV and contact details of 3 academic references, (3) a CENTA application form (only required if you are applying to a CENTA PhD project), and (4) a completed Home OU application form (if you are resident in the UK or European Economic Area) or an Overseas OU application form (if you are resident elsewhere; not eligible for a CENTA PhD project).