The new Queen Mary University of London Leverhulme Trust Doctoral Scholarships (QMUL-LTDS) Programme is now available on offer for all new international students. QMUL-LTDS will support interdisciplinary PhD projects addressing the theme of mobile people across at least two of these disciplines.
The aim of the scholarship is provide full funding to Doctoral students for 2019-20 entry.
User Review( votes)
Queen Mary University of London is one of the UK’s leading research universities, committed to improving social justice and achieving the previously unthinkable. A Russell Group university based in east London, we teach across the full disciplinary spectrum. With staff and students from over 160 nationalities, we are one of the most diverse higher education institutions in the world.
- Applications Deadline: There are no set deadlines for applying for a research degree, unless you are applying for a funded place. Funded places normally have a deadline of late January. Normally, you start the PhD programme in October as it allows you to take full advantage of our training programmes.
- Course Level: Scholarships are available to pursue doctoral degree programme.
- Study Subject: This is an Interdisciplinary Doctoral Scholarships on the theme of ‘Mobile People: mobility as a way of life’. This includes research in the fields of migration studies, refugee studies and citizenship studies in the disciplines of Economics, Geography, History, International Relations, Law, Linguistics, Politics and Psychology.
- Scholarship Award: This offers fully funded QMUL-LTDS Doctoral Scholarships on the theme of ‘Mobile People: mobility as a way of life’.
- Nationality: Scholarships are available for international students.
- Number of Scholarships: Seven scholarships are available.
- Scholarship can be taken in the UK
Eligibility for the Scholarship
Eligible Countries: Scholarships are available for international students.
Entrance Requirements: Applicants must meet the following criteria:
Applicants are expected to hold a good first degree of at least 2:1, or equivalent, and/or a Masters degree of at least Merit, or equivalent (usually 65% and above), in politics and/or international relations, or a cognate discipline. Relevant experience within the field may also be taken into account. If English is not your first language, take note of any English language requirements. The College’s standard requirement for English is IELTS 7.0 (6.5 Writing) or equivalent.
English Language Requirements: All applicants must meet the English language entry requirements for their chosen programmes in order to study at Queen Mary University of London.
You will need to meet our minimum English language requirements as part of the admissions process in order to be successful on your chosen course. You will need to provide evidence of your English language ability in line with the IELTS requirements for the programme to which you are applying. English language ability is part of our application assessment process and for those who have not yet met our requirements, we will include this as part of your offer conditions.
How to Apply: For QMUL-LTDS Studentships, apply via the standard PhD application process here and indicate in your proposal, personal statement and the ‘Funding’ section of the online application form that you would like to be considered for funding under QMUL-LTDS.
You application will consist of the following:
- Completed application form
- Transcripts of your previous degrees
- Proof of English language ability for overseas applicants from non-English speaking countries
- Curriculum Vitae (CV), or Résumé
- Your full-length research proposal of 2,000 – 3,000 words
- A short statement explaining why you want to study with us. This should address the following: previous academic and other experience relevant to your proposed research; why you wish to undertake this research at Queen Mary; what research training and professional preparation you have already received, and what further training you think you will need; any ethical issues you will need to consider in undertaking your research.
- Two references. If you are still studying for your Masters degree, it is essential that one of the referees is able to comment on your progress so far and your predicted grades. Please note that it is your responsibility to ensure that your references are returned before any advertised deadlines. The College or School will not pursue outstanding references on your behalf. If references are not received by the advertised deadline, your application will not be considered any further.
- Please indicate how you will finance your studies. The application form asks ‘How do you intend to finance your studies at Queen Mary University of London’. Please select the relevant answer from the drop-down menu. If you want to be considered for funding, including QMUL scholarships, please give details of the scholarships you are applying for in the funding section of the application form.This may be the QMUL Principal’s Studentships, Graduate Teaching Studentships, ESRC London Interdisciplinary Social Science Doctoral Training Partnership (LISS-DTP) Studentships, Leverhulme Trust Doctoral Scholarships (QMUL-LTDS), or any other scholarships, sponsorships or grants.
Please note that if you are applying for the Queen Mary University of London Leverhulme Trust Doctoral Scholarships (QMUL-LTDS), you will need to specifically address the following questions in your research proposal:
- Outline the research questions in reference to QMUL-LTDS research framework, theories, methods, and data relevant to the research question. Applicants are required to identify a thematic area that their proposed research roughly corresponds to and an institutional dimension to which it speaks;
- Indicate two potential supervisors from two different schools (disciplines) including the Schools of Politics and International Relations (IR), Business and Management, Economics and Finance, Languages, Linguistics and Film, Geography, Psychology (SBCS), History, and Law. Applicants are encouraged to contact their potential supervisors in advance of making a formal application.
- Mention in your personal statement that you are applying for funding under QMUL-LTDS.