Applications are invited for Raghunathan Family Fellowship for International students at Harvard South Asia Institute for the year 2019-20. Research topics can cover any period of South Asian history or contemporary South Asia.
The Harvard South Asia Institute is pleased to offer the Raghunathan Family Fellowship (formerly known as South Asian Studies Fellowship) to support recent PhDs in the humanities and social sciences related to South Asia.
Golden opportunity for candidates
User Review( votes)
The Harvard University South Asia Institute (SAI) engages faculty and students through interdisciplinary programs to advance and deepen the teaching and research on global issues relevant to South Asia.
- Course Level: Fellowship is available to pursue a PhD programme. This is a yearlong fellowship program.
- Study Subject: Applicants from any area of the humanities or social sciences are encouraged to apply, provided that their studies are focused on South Asia. Examples of fields of study in the humanities and social sciences include philosophy, religion, language, literature, history, cultural studies, the visual arts, economics, linguistics, anthropology, political science, sociology, and human geography, among others.
- Award: Total stipend for one year: $40,000.Health insurance up to $5,000 and round trip economy travel expenses to from South Asia to Boston will also be provided (for participants residing in South Asia only).
- Number of Awards: Not Known
- The award can be taken in the USA
The following criteria must be met in order for applicants to be eligible for the opportunity :
- Fellowship supports recent PhDs in the humanities and social sciences related to South Asia. Research topics can cover any period of South Asian history or contemporary South Asia. Candidates must be able to provide evidence of successful completion of their PhD by June of the year of appointment and may not be more than five years beyond the receipt of PhD. Scholars who have not had past opportunities to access Harvard’s resources and who have primarily been educated at institutions in South Asia will be prioritized.
- Fellows are expected to reside in the Cambridge vicinity during the time of their award and to actively participate in the events and intellectual life of the Institute. Participation includes contributing to the greater Harvard community by teaching, mentoring, or advising students.
Nationality: International students are eligible to apply for this fellowship programme.
How to Apply
How to Apply: The mode of application is an online application form.
- Visit and fill out the Online Application Form.
- Fill out and upload the SAI Fellowship Cover Sheet to the Online Application Form.
- Upload a five-page double spaced plan of research to the Online Application Form.
- Upload updated curriculum vitae which lists your academic degrees, disciplines, dates the degrees were received, your publications, and research presentations, and previous grants and fellowships to the Online Application Form.
- Upload a writing sample (i.e. one dissertation chapter) to the Online Application Form.
- Two letters of reference should be emailed directly to Diana Nguyendiananguyen-at-fas.harvard.edu by the deadline.
- Entrance Requirements: The Raghunathan Family Fellowship is limited to those who have obtained their PhD.
- English language Requirements: Applicants from outside the home country will often need to meet specific English language/other language requirements in order to be able to study there.
Application Deadline: March 4, 2019