Howard Hughes Medical Institute is inviting applications for Gilliam research fellowships to support up to three years of their dissertation research. These fellowships are available for international students.
The goal of HHMI’s Gilliam Fellowships for Advanced Study program is to ensure that a diverse and highly trained workforce is prepared to assume leadership roles in science, particularly college and university faculty who have the responsibility to develop the next generation of scientists.
A wonderful option to get financial support for study in the USA.
User Review( votes)
HHMI is a science philanthropy whose mission is to advance biomedical research and science education for the benefit of humanity.
Application Deadline: December 8, 2022
- Course Level: Fellowships is available to pursue three years of their dissertation research
- Study Subject: Fellowships are awarded in the field of life sciences or related sciences, including mathematics and physical sciences.
- Scholarship Award: Varies
- Fellowships will cover the following:
- Number of Scholarships: Not known
- Nationality: International Students
- Scholarship can be taken in the USA
- Eligible Countries: International Students are eligible for these fellowships.
- Entrance Requirements: Applicants must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- HHMI’s Gilliam Fellowships for Advanced Study are open to eligible pairs comprising thesis advisors and PhD students (“advisor-student pairs”).
- Advisor-student pairs from eligible disciplines must be nominated by the HHMI-designated institutional representative; and
- PhD students must be NIGMS training grant eligible, be from racial, ethnic, and other underrepresented groups in the sciences, or Alumni of the HHMI EXROP and be at the appropriate program stage of their PhD training.
- The Gilliam Fellowships for Advanced Study will support students for up to three years of their dissertation research, typically in years 3-5 of their PhD studies.
- The advisor-student pairs must be studying scientific problems in biomedical and life science disciplines including plant biology, evolutionary biology, biophysics, chemical biology, biomedical engineering, and computational biology.
- Students enrolled in an MD/PhD program (i.e., Medical Scientist Training Program) are not eligible.
- How to Apply: All applicants must be directly contact to Gilliam-at-hhmi.org for the application process of this funding opportunity.
- English Language Requirements: Students can provide evidence that they have successfully completed studies where the medium of the study was English, or they can provide evidence of their English proficiency.
The fellowship programme will cover all the following study benefits:
- Fellows are supported for up to three years of dissertation research, typically in years
3–5 of PhD study.
- For the 2023 fellowship cohort the award amount is $53,000 per year. This includes an annual fellow stipend of $36,000, an institution allowance (in lieu of tuition and fees) of $10,000, a fellow’s discretionary allowance of $4,000, and an adviser allowance of $3,000 to support diversity and inclusion efforts at the graduate level.