The International Council of Ophthalmology is offering approximately 60 fellowships in ophthalmology. Fellowships provide young ophthalmologists with exposure to and training in several subspecialties in ophthalmology.
The International Council of Ophthalmology works with ophthalmologic societies and others to enhance ophthalmic education and improve access to the highest quality eye care in order to preserve and restore vision for the people of the world.
User Review( votes)
The International Council of Ophthalmology (ICO) represents and serves professional associations of ophthalmologists throughout the world.
Applicant must be under 40 years of age at the time of applying. Applicants from outside the home country will often need to meet specific English language/other language requirements in order to be able to study there.
Course Level: Fellowships provide young ophthalmologists with exposure to and training in several subspecialties in ophthalmology.
Study Subject (s): The ICO Three-Month Fellowship offers training in the following subspecialties:
List of Subjects: General Ophthalmology, Pediatric Ophthalmology and Strabismus, Uveitis, Glaucoma, Cornea & External Diseases, (no Refractive Surgery), Medical Retina, Vitreo-Retinal Surgery, Oculoplastics, Cataract Surgery, Ocular Oncology, Neuro-Ophthalmology, Ocular Pathology and Community Eye Health.
Award: The fellowships include S$6000 (maximum) to cover travel and living expenses for three months. The exact amount is subject to actual student-style living expenses in the host country.
Number of Awards: Approximately 60 three-month fellowships are awarded each year.
The award can be taken in Turkey, Italy, Spain, Austria, Brazil, United Kingdom, Germany, United States and Australia
- Residency training must be completed before applying for the fellowship.
- Specialist exam in ophthalmology must be successfully passed.
- Applicant must be under 40 years of age at the time of applying.
- Applicant must return to home country after the training, resume previous positions, and apply the knowledge gained during the fellowship.
- Applicant must be reasonably fluent in the language of the fellowship training center.
- The ICO recommends that candidates pass one or more ICO exams. We consider this in the assessment of applications.
- Applicants from countries with ophthalmologic societies that are Members of the ICO will receive special consideration
Nationality: Citizens of developing countries (Afghanistan, Algeria, Angola, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bahamas, Bahrain Bangladesh, Barbados, Belarus, Belize, Benin, Bhutan, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Botswana, Brazil, Brunei, Bulgaria, Burkina Faso, Burma, Burundi, Cambodia, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Central African Republic , Chad, Chile, People’s Republic of China, Colombia, Comoros, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Republic of the Congo, Costa Rica, Côte d’Ivoire, Croatia, Djibouti, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Egypt, El Salvador, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Fiji, Gabon, The Gambia, Georgia, Ghana, Grenada, Guatemala, Guinea, Guinea, Bissau, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Hungary, Indonesia, India, Iran, Iraq, Jamaica, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Kiribati, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Latvia, Lebanon, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Lithuania, Macedonia, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Maldives, Mali, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Mauritius, Mexico, Federated States of Micronesia, Moldova, Mongolia, Montenegro, Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Nauru, Nepal, Nicaragua, Niger, Nigeria, Oman, Pakistan, Palau, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Qatar, Romania, Russia, Rwanda, Saudi Arabia, Samoa, São Tomé and Príncipe, Senegal, Serbia, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Solomon Islands, South Africa, Somalia, Sri Lanka, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint- Vincent and the Grenadines, South Sudan, Sudan, Suriname, Swaziland, Syria, Tajikistan, Tanzania, Thailand, Timor, Leste, Togo, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Tuvalu, Uganda, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, Uruguay, Uzbekistan, Vanuatu, Venezuela, Vietnam, Yemen, Zambia and Zimbabwe) can apply for these fellowships.
College Admission Requirement
Entrance Requirement: Applicant must be under 40 years of age at the time of applying.
Test Requirement: No
English Language Requirements: Applicants from outside the home country will often need to meet specific English language/other language requirements in order to be able to study there.
How to Apply: The mode of applying is online.
Documents Required to Apply for the ICO Three-Month Fellowship
- Scanned copy of passport
- Copy of ICO Exams Certificate(s). The ICO recommends that candidate pass one or more of the ICO Exams.
- Scanned copy of Specialist Exam Certificate, Diploma of National Board, Master of Surgery, or equivalent
- Present Chair’s Recommendation & Residency Confirmation Letter
- Previous Chair’s Recommendation
- ICO Fellowships Program Host Notice of Acceptance-Three Months
Application Deadline: The application deadline is September 30, 2017.