The Inter-Pacific Bar Association is seeking applications for its IPBA Scholarship program to be held in 2020. The Program is intended to endorse the IPBA’s goal to develop the law and its practice in the Asia-Pacific region.
The program is an opportunity for young lawyers aged 35 or under from developing countries such as Bangladesh, Cambodia, Laos, Mongolia, Myanmar, or the Pacific Islands to attend the Annual Meeting and Conference in Shanghai, China, April 20-23, 2020.
This is a wonderful opportunity for young lawyers.
User Review( votes)
The program objective is to provide candidates with substantial tools and cross-border knowledge to help them in building their careers in their home country.
With a focus on the Asia-Pacific region, the Inter-Pacific Bar Association is an international association of business and commercial lawyers. The IPBA was established in April 1991 at an event conference held in Tokyo attended by over 500 lawyers from across Asia and the Pacific.
Application Deadline: October 31, 2019
- University or Organization: Inter-Pacific Bar Association
- Department: NA
- Course Level: Law
- Award: A conference fee waiver, round-trip, accommodation, and a membership
- Access Mode: Online
- Number of Awards: NA
- Nationality: International
- Eligible Countries: Applications of developing countries are accepted
- Admissible Criteria: The applicants must meet all the following: There are two categories of lawyers who are eligible to become an IPBA Scholar:
- Lawyers from Developing Countries: To be eligible, the applicants must:
- Must be a citizen of and be admitted to practice in Laos, Cambodia, Myanmar, Mongolia, Bangladesh, or the Pacific Islands
- Be fluent in both written and spoken English (the conference language)
- Currently, maintain a cross-border practice or desire to become engaged in cross- border practice
- Young Lawyers: To be eligible, the applicants must:
- Be under 35 years of age at the time of application and have less than seven years of post-qualification experience
- Be fluent in both written and spoken English (given this is the conference language)
- Have taken an active role in the legal profession in their respective countries
- Currently, maintain a cross-border practice or desire to become engaged in cross-border practice
- Have published an article in a reputable journal on a topic related to the work of one of our committees or have provided some other objective evidence of committed involvement in the profession
- Preference will be given to applicants who would be otherwise unable to attend the conference because of personal or family financial circumstances, and/or because they are working for a small firm without a budget to allow them to attend
How to Apply
To apply for an IPBA award, download the application and send the completed form to the IPBA Secretariat in Tokyo.
- Forward completed applications by e-mail to: [email protected]
- The IPBA Secretariat: Roppongi Hills North Tower 7F, 6-2-31 Roppongi, Minato-ku, Tokyo, Japan 106-0032. Telephone: +81-3-5786-6796, FAX: +81-3-5786-6778
Selected Scholars will receive all the following benefits:
- A conference fee waiver
- Round-trip airfare
- Hotel accommodation, and
- A three-year IPBA membership