Home » College Articles » Countries That Allow International Students To Work While Studying

Countries That Allow International Students To Work While Studying

For many international students, securing an admission in a top-notch university is a dream comes true; however, the high tuition cost is a worrying factor. In order to ensure that their studies are not affected due to lack of funding, many students look out for part-time jobs. Unfortunately, different countries have different rules regarding working while studying. When visiting international countries for studies, most students wish to work alongside as it helps them not just to gain experience but also reimburse for the costly courses and degrees. A comprehensive list of countries and their work permits for international students has been explained below.

Study and Work in USA

If you wish to study in a full-time program in USA, you require a student visa. There are two kinds of student visas available here, namely ‘F’ and ‘M’ visas. The F-1 visa is for students entering in USA for pursuing an academic program at an accredited college/university. At the end of program it should culminate into a degree, certificate or diploma. On the other hand, the M-1 visa is granted for students in non-academic, language or vocational programs. F-1 students cannot work off-campus for the first, but can seek on-campus employment. Furthermore, after the first year, international students with F-1 visa can seek off-campus employment after the first year, under the following types of employments; -Curricular Practical Training (CPT) -Optional Practical Training (OPT) -Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics (STEM) Optional Practical Training Extension (OPT) M-1 students can also seek employment but only upon completion of their studies. F-1 and M-1can seek off-campus employment only in an area related to their course and they also require authorization from Designated School Official before starting work.

User Review
5 (1 vote)

Studying and Working in UK

International students are allowed to work in the UK, but with many exceptions; there are some students that are prohibited from working. Those students who are in the UK on a Tier 4/students visa can get their visa stamped as ‘allowed work’ with restrictions. There are various exceptions which need to be followed diligently by students. Once students have these stamps, there is no need to contact the Secretaries of State for Employment. International students are allowed to do the following types of work: -Vacation Employment or Part Time Employment: 20 hours during term time and full time during vacations. If student applies for Tier 4 visa for a course below bachelor’s degree, then they can work only for 10 hours during term week. -Work Placement in Sandwich Courses: Those courses wherein work placements are an integral part are known as sandwich courses. Under such courses, work placement is clearly an integral part and is approved by the University. However the work placement should not extend after the completion of course. Two essential rules must be followed by students while seeking employment during study; -Students cannot engage in self-employment, business or be available as professional sportsperson or entertainer. -Students cannot seek for permanent full time vacancy.

Study and Work in Ireland

Students from European Economic Area (EEA) are free to seek employment while studying in Ireland; however non-EEA students can take up casual employment (up to 20 hours a week during term or full time during vacation) only if their course is of at least 1 academic year. Furthermore, the course must be included in the governments internationalization register. The right to work finishes upon completion of the course unless extension has been granted for third level graduates. It is important to note that while you apply for your visa, you will have to show that you have sufficient funds to cover the cost of the course and that you do not need to rely on any source of income. Upon the expiry of the student’s visa, students are not permitted to work; special applications need to be made for seeking employment after graduation. If students are attending a foundation or preparatory course, they are not allowed to work in Ireland.

Study and Work in Germany

Many international students in Germany opt to work while completing their studies. While EEA students can seek employment freely, non EEA students have a few restrictions and conditions to fulfill in order to work while studying. International students are allowed to work 90 full days or 180 half days in a year. Students do not need any kind of authorization from Employment Agency for this purpose.

Study and Work in Canada

International students at Canadian Universities can work both on-campus as well as off-campus, until they have they have the required permit and only if they are full time students of one of the following institutions; -Public Higher Education Institution -Private Higher Education Institution with 50% government funding -Private Institution with authorization to give degrees For off-campus employment, students are permitted only 20 hours per week and not more. For on-campus employment, there are no restrictions.

Study and Work in Australia

In order to be able to study in Australia, you will have to acquire a student visa. Based on student visa, students are allowed to work for specific number of hours. Students are granted ‘Permission to Work’ under their student visa and they can take up only 40 hours of work per fortnight when the college is in session and full time during vacations. It is important to note that voluntary, unpaid work that benefits the community is not included in the 40 hour restriction. The 40 hour fortnight rule is also not applicable to Postgraduate research students who are doing masters through research or are pursuing a doctorate course; such students can work unlimited of hours.

Study and Work in France

International students in France have the ability to work in France on the condition that they are enrolled in an institute which gives access to student social security scheme. According to the law, students can work up to 964 hours maximum per year. Students do not require getting any Temporary Work Permit (APT) to be able to work while studying. However, Algerian students whose status is defined by the French-Algerian Agreement need the APT. International students studying France can also take up student employment at educational institutions with roles such as receiving students, supporting socially disabled students, computer assistance etc. However, for such roles, contracts have to be signed which are of 12 months maximum September 1 to August 31st. Working hours should not exceed 670 hours between September 1 and June 31st and 300 hours between July 1 to August 31st.

Study and Work in Norway

An international student in Norway holding a student resident permit is not allowed to seek employment. However, students can apply to acquire part time permit or permit to seek employment during vacations. Furthermore, full time employment, however for a limited period of time can be sought. An international student is allowed to work for 20 hours per week once the permit is granted. Along with the work permit application, a letter needs to be submitted by the school/ college saying that the student’s studies will not be affected due to work. Applications for work permit are to be submitted at the nearest police station. It is important to note that most Norwegian institutes do not have on-campus employment, thus students will have to seek work outside.

Study and Work in Singapore

Singapore has recently become the hub for international students as many universities are setting their base here. International students studying in Singapore are not allowed to work, unless they are issued a Work Pass exemption by the Employment of Foreign Manpower (Work Pass Exemptions) Notification. For full-time international students pursuing a degree at one of the Singaporean Universities, part-time work is allowed which should not be more than 16 hours per week during term time and full time during vacations. You do not need to make any special applications if the work in within the limited hours and if you are studying at one of the universities approved by the Ministry of Manpower. Most institutions also provide internships and after the completion of your course, the company is most likely to retain the student as their employee.

Study and Work in New Zealand

International students staying in New Zealand are allowed to work, however there are a few rules and restrictions that need to be followed. Students on a Students Visa are allowed to work up to 20 hours per week in part-time jobs during term time and full-time during vacations or holidays. In order to be able to work 20 hours/week on of the following requirements; -The program leads to acquiring a New Zealand qualification that helps to gather points under ‘Skilled Migrant Category’. -The program is of 2 years -The course is an English language course Apart from 20 hours work limit, some students are allowed special grants to work more. For example, if the study program requires a set number of hours for work experience, then the 20 hour rule can be exempted. Students who have enrolled for a 1 year course with 120 credits, can work full time during scheduled breaks ; however if the course is of 1 year but not 120 credits, then full time work is permissible only during Christmas and New Year holidays. Lastly, make sure that the visa in the passport states that you can work, without which working is not allowed. Thus, the above presented guide can help international students to determine whether they will be able to earn or not while they are at a foreign land studying. It will help you to choose your choice of country where you cannot just study but also earn in order to support your studies. There are many other countries that allow international students to work while studying abroad.