ITMO University is offering free online course on Plasmonics: From Fundamentals to Modern Applications. This course is aimed for graduate and undergraduate students who are majoring in physics and engineering science related to optics.
In this five-week course, applicants will learn the fundamentals and the latest achievements and modern applications. This course will start on March 20, 2018.
User Review( votes)
Course At A Glance
Length: 5 weeks
Effort: 4-6 hours pw
Institution: ITMO University and edx
Certificate Available: Yes, Add a Verified Certificate for $49
Session: Course Starts on March 20, 2018
At ITMO University, we love science, innovation and entrepreneurial spirit. Founded in 1900 in St. Petersburg, Russia, ITMO is home to over 14,300 students and bears the status of “National Research University.”
About This Course
The course is divided into five sections:
- Electromagnetic properties of metals
- Surface plasmon-polaritons
- Localized surface plasmon resonances
- Bulk plasmon-polaritons
- Applications of plasmonics
Why Take This Course?
Gain a wide view on the physics of light interaction with metal nanostructures. In this course, you will learn about the whole diversity of unique effects appearing at the junction of nanotechnology, sub wavelength optics, quantum mechanics, and solid state physics.
- Basic knowledge and skills on plasmonics, which allow you to do research in this area
- Knowledge about state-of-the art achievements and concepts in plasmonics
- Basic techniques and methods for description of optical properties of plasmonic nanostructures
- Knowledge on experimental methods and techniques for analysis of plasmonic nanostructures
Andrey is associate professor of the Nanophotonics and Metamaterials department at ITMO University.
Dr. Petrov is a researcher at the Nanophotonics and Metamaterials department at ITMO University
Basic knowledge on
- Electrodynamics and optics
- Solid state physics
- High mathematical analysis and linear algebra
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Create an edX account to SignUp
- Choose “Register Now” to get started.
- EdX offers honor code certificates of achievement, verified certificates of achievement, and XSeries certificates of achievement. Currently, verified certificates are only available in some courses.
- Once applicant sign up for a course and activate their account, click on the Log In button on the edx.org homepage and type in their email address and edX password. This will take them to the dashboard, with access to each of their active courses. (Before a course begins, it will be listed on their dashboard but will not yet have a “view course” option.)