The University of Pittsburgh is offering free online course on Clinical Terminology for International and U.S. Students. This course is designed to help both groups of students understand the terms and abbreviations commonly encountered during the first three months of clinical work on a U.S. hospital unit.
Understanding the clinical terms and abbreviations commonly used in U.S. hospitals is challenging. The course will start on November 6, 2017.
User Review( votes)
Course At Glance
Subject: Life Sciences
Institution: University of Pittsburgh and Coursera
Certificate Available: Yes
Session: Course starts on November 6, 2017
The University of Pittsburgh is a state-related research university located in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. In 1787 after the American Revolutionary War, it was founded on the edge of the American frontier as the Pittsburgh Academy.
About This Course
Understanding the clinical terms and abbreviations commonly used in U.S. hospitals is challenging. Adaptation to clinical language can be difficult for U.S. students entering the clinical area and even more so for international students whose primary language is not English.
A web-based clinical dictionary for beginners provides additional information about terms presented in the course as well as definitions of many important terms that could not be covered in the six week course.
This course is designed to help both groups of students understand the terms and abbreviations commonly encountered during the first three months of clinical work on a U.S. hospital unit.
Valerie Swigart, Ph.D. R.N., Professor of Nursing
School of Nursing
Michael Gold, Ph.D., Associate Professor Emeritus
Graduate School of Public and International Affairs
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Sign Up At FutureLearn
- Select a course and Join
- Once a course has started, applicant will be able to access the course material
- After the start date, students will be able to access the course by following the Go To Course link on My Courses page.
- Applicants can buy, to show that they have completed a FutureLearn course.
- On some FutureLearn courses, learners will be able to pay to take an exam to qualify for a Statement of Attainment. (These are university-branded, printed certificates that provide proof of learning on the course topic(s)).