To provide students an opportunity to pursue research study in Japan, the Japan Foundation has organized the Japan Foundation Japanese Studies Fellowships programme for the academic year 2023/2024
All international, US, and non-US students, can apply to participate in this fellowship programme to pursue a research study degree in Japan. Eligible students will be awarded financial support towards the overall cost of study in Japan including airfare, stipend, and other allowances.
Nice offer for students
User Review( votes)
The Japan Foundation is Japan’s only institution dedicated to carrying out comprehensive international cultural exchange programs throughout the world. It was established in October 1972 as a special legal entity by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
Why should you apply for this programme? The Japan Foundation creates global opportunities to foster friendship, trust, and mutual understanding through culture, language, and dialogue. The Foundation is financed by the annual government subsidies, investment revenue, and donations from the private sector.
Application Deadline: 1st December 2022
- University or Organization: Japan Foundation
- Department: NA
- Course Level: PhD
- Award: Stipend and other expenses
- Number of Awards: NA
- Access Mode: Online
- Nationality: International
- The award can be taken in Japan.
- Eligible Countries: Non-US and US students both are eligible to apply.
- Eligible Course or Subjects: Students can apply for research study programmes in humanities and social sciences
- Eligibility Criteria: To be eligible, the applicants must meet all the following/given criteria:
- Applicants must hold nationality or lawful permanent resident status in countries that have diplomatic relations with Japan.
- Applicants must secure all affiliation arrangements by the application deadline.
How to Apply
- How to Apply: Students must submit their admission applications to the Japanese university of their choice first. The fellowship application form must be submitted to [email protected].
- Non-US students application form
- US student’s application form can be obtained here.
- Supporting Documents: The students are required to present the following documents to the university:
- Application form
- Two references
- Letter of Affiliation
- Official academic transcripts
- Admission Requirements: Applicants must have a previous degree and meet the academic and entry requirements of their respective universities.
- Language Requirement: The students must meet the language requirements of the university they wish to apply to. They must be proficient in either Japanese or English
The selected students will be provided round-trip airfare (discount economy class [most direct and economical route] and stipend and other allowances.