SmokeLong Quarterly is inviting applicants for its Kathy Fish Writing Fellowship for new and emerging writers. The winner of the Fellowship will also receive $500.00, to be paid as follows: $100.00 on the announcement of the winner, and $100.00 upon publication of each of the four issues in 2018.
The aim of the fellowship is to provide an opportunity to work with SmokeLong staff and participate in online writing workshops.
User Review( votes)
SmokeLong Quarterly, founded by Dave Clapper in 2003, is “dedicated to bringing the best flash fiction to the web … whether written by widely published authors or those new to the craft.
Course Level: Fellowship is available for writers.
Study Subject: Fellowship is awarded in the field of participating in online writing workshops.
Award: Fellowship will cover the following:
- The winner of the 2018 Kathy Fish Fellowship will be considered a “writer in residence” at SmokeLong (note: position is virtual) for four quarterly issues (March, June, September, and December 2018). Each issue will include one flash by the Fellowship winner.
- The winner of the Fellowship will also receive $500.00, to be paid as follows: $100.00 on the announcement of the winner, and $100.00 upon publication of each of the four issues in 2018.
Number of Awards: Not Known
The award can be taken in the USA
Eligibility: The following criteria must be met in order for applicants to be eligible for the opportunity :
- Writers are eligible who:
- Have not been previously published by SmokeLong.
- Do not have a chapbook or a book-length work published, self-published, or under contract, in any genre.
- Are 18 years or older.
Nationality: Applicants of USA are eligible to apply for the opportunity .
College Admission Requirement
Entrance Requirements: Applicants must be a writer.
English Language Requirements: Applicants must be fluent in English.
How to Apply: Applicants can apply via online:
- In the title box, please write: “2018 Fish Application.” In the cover letter/biofield, please include your name and a short bio. Do not put your name anywhere else in the application document.
- Answer the required questions within the word count limit.
- Upload your fiction samples in ONE document, double-spaced (no funky fonts or styles, please) with the following guidelines:
- Four samples of your flash fiction (stories of 1000 words or less).
- Please include word count after the title of each story.
- These samples may be unpublished or previously published in venues other than SmokeLong, but at least one of the samples should be previously unpublished. (NOTE: We strongly suggest that you not submit your unpublished sample(s) elsewhere during the time your application is under review with us. Should they get accepted at another journal, you will have to withdraw your entire fellowship application from consideration. Due to the blind review process, we cannot substitute story samples within applications.)
- Please note if a sample is previously published, but do not include specific information about the publication.
- The writing samples should, as a whole, best reflect your ability, style(s), etc. Show us who you are as a writer through these samples.
- There is no application fee through September 20, 2017, but a $5 donation is suggested. After September 20, only the $5 fee option will be available, through October 31, 2017. No priority will be given to applications that submit with a donation. All donations raised will go toward future Kathy Fish Fellowship funding, so please consider adding a donation so that we may continue to fund the fellowship in the future.
Application Deadline: Closed