Leiden University is offering excellence scholarships for full-time international students in 2019 academic year. These opportunities are available for pursuing master’s degree program.
University offers a number of general and subject-specific funding schemes. The aim of The grants is to attract the best and most motivated people to Netherlands.
User Review( votes)
Leiden University is one of Europe’s leading international research-intensive universities. This prominent position gives graduates an advantage when applying for positions both within and outside the academic world.
Students of all nationalities enrolling in the advanced master programmes, Most master’s programmes at Leiden University are taught in English. This means that applicants will need to submit proof of their English-language proficiency, preferably by means of an IELTS test.
- Application Deadline: October 1, 1 Feb, and 1 March.
- Course Level: The studentships are available for the master’s degree programme at Leiden University.
- Study Subject: The studentships are awarded for all MA, MSc and LL.M programmes as mentioned on the website master’s programmes in Leiden (for Non-EU/EEA students).
List of Subjects: Archaeology, Humanities, Medicine/LUMC, Governance, and Global Affairs, Law, Social and Behavioural Sciences, Science, Interfacultair Centrum voor Lerarenopleiding, Onderwijsontwikkeling en Nascholing (ICLON), African Studies Centre, International Institute for Asian Studies
- Award: The LExS is awarded for the duration of the study programme. There are three available levels of awards:
- € 10,000 of the tuition fee
- € 15,000 of the tuition fee
- Total tuition fee minus the statutory tuition fee
The LExS is not a fully-funded position. Non-EEA LExS recipients must still submit ‘proof of sufficient funds’ for their student visa/residence permit application.
- Number of Awards: Not given
- Nationality: International students
- The award can be taken in Netherlands
- Eligible Countries: International students can apply for these excellence scholarships.
- Entrance Requirements: Students applying for all Master’s programmes at Leiden University – with the exception of regular LLM (non-advanced) programmes, which do not offer LEx Scholarships.
Students must have achieved excellent study results in their previous education, this being relevant to the Master’s programme for which they are applying. As an indication, the student is amongst the top 10% of graduates in his/her previous study programme. Note: proof of ranking is not required – this information is purely to indicate the level of competitiveness.
- English Language Requirements: Most master’s programmes at Leiden University are taught in English. This means that applicants will need to submit proof of their English-language proficiency, preferably by means of an IELTS test.
How to Apply: The mode of applying is online. Programmes starting Feb: 1 Oct / Programmes starting Sept: 1 Feb / Exception – LLM Advanced Studies programmes: 1 March.
- Apply online for admission to a Master’s programme at Leiden University and pay the application fee if applicable.
- In the program section of your online application, indicate that you wish to apply for a LExS.
- Upload your LExS motivation letter as instructed in your online application. This is a Word doc of max. 500 words, in which you explain why you would like to be considered for the award.
- Submit your online application, containing your LExS application, before the LExS application deadline.
- If you apply for more than one study programme and wish to apply for a LExS for each, indicate this clearly in each application and upload a LExS motivation letter for each.