The university offers a number of general and subject-specific funding schemes. The aim of The grants is to attract the best and most motivated people to the Netherlands.
- Application Deadline: October 1 and February 1
- Course Level: The studentships are available for the master’s degree programme at Leiden University.
- Number of Awards: Not given
- Nationality: International students
- The award can be taken in the Netherlands
- Eligible Countries: International students can apply for these excellence scholarships.
- Study Subject: Masters program in Archaeology, Humanities, Medicine/LUMC, Governance and Global Affairs, Law, Social and Behavioural Sciences, Science, Interfacultair Centrum Voor Lerarenopleiding, Onderwijsontwikkeling en Nascholing (ICLON), African Studies Centre, International Institute for Asian Studies.
- Entrance Requirements:
- For non-EEA/non-EFTA nationals who are applying for a Master’s programme at Leiden University. See additional note for UK students below.
- For students of all nationalities applying for an LLM Advanced Studies programme, or the MSC in International Relations and Diplomacy.
How to Apply
- How to Apply: The mode of applying is online.
- Apply online for admission to a Master’s programme at Leiden University and pay the application fee if applicable.
- In the scholarship section of your online application, indicate that you wish to apply for a LExS.
- Upload your LExS motivation letter as instructed in your online application. This is a Word doc of max. 500 words, in which you explain why you would like to be considered for the award.
- If you apply for more than one study programme and wish to apply for a LExS for each, indicate this clearly in each application and upload a LExS motivation letter for each.
- English Language Requirements: Most master’s programmes at Leiden University are taught in English. This means that applicants will need to submit proof of their English-language proficiency, preferably by means of an IELTS test.
The LExS is awarded for the duration of the study programme. There are three available levels of awards:
- € 10,000 of the tuition fee
- € 15,000 of the tuition fee
- Total tuition fee minus the statutory tuition fee