The University of Sussex is proud to accept applications for the Mandela Scholarship. The master’s award program is available for the 2023/24 academic year in the United Kingdom.
The funding opportunity is open for South African nationals applying for a full-time Master’s degree starting in September 2023. Selected winners will receive a full fee waiver and maintenance to support their studies at the University of Sussex.
Nice offer for South Africans to study in the UK.
User Review( votes)
The University of Sussex offers full- and part-time courses, over 200 master’s degrees, postgraduate diplomas, and PGCE (Postgraduate Certificate in Education) courses.
Why study at the University of Sussex? Studying at Sussex, students will experience quality teaching. At Sussex, international students can study at a world-renowned university with an academic focus on global sustainability and innovation.
Application Deadline: 9 May 2023, 23:59
- University or Organization: University of Sussex
- Department: All
- Course Level: Master
- Award: Full tuition fee waiver and £12,000 maintenance
- Access Mode: Online
- Number of Awards: One
- Nationality: South African
- The award can be taken in the UK
- Eligible Countries: South Africa
- Acceptable Course or Subjects: The scholarship will be awarded for the master’s degree program at Sussex.
- Admissible Criteria: To be eligible for the Mandela Scholarship, applicants must:
- have applied and received an offer for a full-time, eligible Master’s degree at Sussex starting in September 2023
- be a South African national
- hold a good undergraduate degree from an African university, the equivalent of a UK Upper Second class degree
- Preference may be given to candidates with work experience who see a Masters at Sussex as a catalyst for future career development.
- Preference will also be given to applicants that do not already hold the equivalent of a UK Master’s degree.
- Applicants must have at least an upper second-class (2:1) or lower second-class (2:2) undergraduate honors degree (or equivalent), depending on the course they are applying for.
How to Apply
- How to Apply: Apply for the scholarship by submitting an online application when applicants have accepted an offer of a place on an eligible master’s at Sussex.
- Applications for master’s courses are made directly to Sussex through the postgraduate application system.
- Applicants must prepare to write responses (300 words for each)to the following questions in an online application:
- Tell us about your background and the personal challenges you have overcome to gain the education that led you to apply to study at the University of Sussex.
- Tell us about your work experience and career plan. Why have you chosen to study in the UK and this course at the University of Sussex at this time? How will it support your professional and career development?
- What do you plan to do when you complete your studies at Sussex? How will you use your postgraduate degree to achieve your aspirations and contribute to the social and economic development of your community and home country? Please be as specific as possible.
- What do you see as your personal strengths, and how do you see yourself developing personally at Sussex?
- Do you see yourself as a leader? Can you give an example of when you have been a leader in your community or when you have shown leadership skills in your life?
- Supporting Documents: To be considered for the scholarship, applicants will need to provide a written statement that details their background, ambitions, future plans, and leadership potential.
- Admission Requirements: To study master’s at Sussex, applicants must check the full entry requirements for international applicants.
- Language Requirement: If applicants are international students, they need to meet English language requirements or successfully complete the pre-sessional English course.
The University of Sussex will provide a full tuition fee waiver and £12,000 maintenance to one selected student from South Africa applying for a master’s study at Sussex starting in September 2023.