The Master of Human Rights and Democratization (Asia Pacific) (APMA Program), hosted at Mahidol University’s Institute of Human Rights and Peace Studies (IHRP), is now accepting applications for the 2017-2018 academic year. There will be approximately 20 scholarships available for applicants from the Asia-Pacific region.2017-2018 academic year. There will be approximately 20 scholarships available for applicants from the Asia-Pacific region.
The Institute of Human Rights and Peace Studies (IHRP) is the result of a recent merger between Mahidol University’s Center for Human Rights Studies and Social Development (est. 1998) and the Research Center for Peacebuilding (est. 2004).
Scholarship & Course Rating
User Review( votes)
Applicants must have high English language proficiency (at least a score of 500 for TOEFL or 6.0 for IELTS).
Course Level: Scholarships are available for pursuing master programme.
Study Subject: Scholarships awarded in the field of human rights and democratisation in the Asia Pacific region.
Travel Allowance: Reimbursement of travel to a maximum of EUR 700 to EUR 1,400 (depending on amount of travel).
- Scholarship holders travelling within Southeast Asia only: up to EUR 700
- Scholarship holders travelling between regions: up to EUR 1,000
- Scholarship holders who can prove substantive extra travelling costs (such as travel from the Pacific Islands): up to EUR 1,400
Education costs: Payment of education costs related to the completion of the APMA degree. This includes:
- Tuition fee: The scholarship includes payment of university tuition fees for 12-month duration of the APMA, including costs of 36 credit points study, taken over two regular and a summer semester (a 12 month period).
- Education and student service fees: Costs of student fees will be covered for 12 months.
- Internet service fee and Health insurance covered for first semester at Mahidol University.
Monthly living allowance: Living allowance of approximately 20,000 Baht or EU 500 for the 12 month period. This stipend contributes to the scholarship holder’s living expenses for the twelve-month duration of the APMA program.
Research thesis allowance: An allowance of EU 500 can be used when the scholarship holder is preparing a thesis for defense. The study allowance is intended to cover costs of thesis editing, binding, and page layout.
Scholarship can be taken in All students will study first semester at the IHRP, Mahidol University (Thailand). Second-semester students will study at one of the four partner universities in Indonesia, Philippines, Sri Lanka, or Nepal.
Eligibility: In order to be eligible for the APMA applicants must hold a Bachelor’s degree in any field, with a minimum GPA of 2.50 (or the equivalent)
Nationality: Applicants from the Asia Pacific region are eligible to apply.
List of Countries: Students must be a citizen of and residing in any of the following countries. Note: The country of citizenship and residence does not need to be the same.
Afghanistan, Australia, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Brunei Darussalam, Cambodia, Cook Islands, PRC China, Fiji Islands, Guam, Hong Kong SAR, India, Indonesia, Japan, Kiribati, DPR Korea, South Korea, Laos, Malaysia, Maldives, Micronesia, Mongolia, Myanmar, Nauru, Nepal, New Caledonia, New Zealand, Niue, Norfolk Island, Pakistan, Palau, Papua New Guinea and Philippines
College Admission Requirement
Entrance Requirement: Applicants must have an undergraduate Bachelors degree (or equivalent from a recognized university).
English Language Requirement: Applicants must have an English language proficiency, with an IELTS score of 6.0, which is equivalent to at least a score of 500 for TOEFL PBT or a score of 61 for TOELF iBT. Mahidol University accepts only IELTS, TOEFL or TOEIC scores for proof of English language proficiency.
* If within the last five years you graduated from a degree where English was the sole medium of instruction, you may be exempted from the English language proficiency requirement provided that you submit a ‘Certificate of English as Medium of Instruction’ from your university.
How to Apply: Applicants can be sent via email or by post. All applicants must also include the following documentation to be considered for a scholarship:
- Application form (in PDF)
- Personal Statement (in PDF)
- Academic transcript(s) BA and Academic Certificate(s) BA (in PDF)
- English Language Test Certificate(s) (in PDF)
- Curriculum Vitae (in PDF)
- Reference contact information (in PDF)
Application Deadline: The application deadline is April 1, 2017.