The SOAS University of London is offering Meiji Jingu Japanese Studies Research Scholarships for any full-time MPhil/PhD programme where the student will be working on some aspect of Japanese Studies.
SOAS University of London is the leading Higher Education institution in Europe specialising in the study of Asia, Africa and the near and Middle East. SOAS is a remarkable institution. With our vast repository of knowledge and expertise on our specialist regions, we are uniquely placed to inform and shape current thinking about the economic, political, cultural, security and religious challenges of our world.
User Review( votes)
- Applications Deadline: May 1, 2019
- Course Level: The studentships are available to pursue MPhil/PhD research.
- Study Subject:
- Any full-time MPhil/PhD programme where the student will be working on some aspect of Japanese Studies.
- Part-time programmes are not eligible.
- Scholarship Award: There are two Meiji Jingu Japanese Studies Research Scholarships available. Each scholarship is valued at £7,000 in total.
- Nationality: Open to UK/EU and Overseas applicants.
- Number of Scholarships: Two opportunities are available.
- Scholarship can be taken in the UK
Eligibility for the Scholarship
Eligible Countries: Open to UK/EU and Overseas applicants.
Entrance Requirements: Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Open to UK/EU and Overseas applicants
- Current PhD students at SOAS, or newly enrolling full-time MPhil students with an offer of admission are eligible. Newly enrolling MPhil students may be given preference.
- It is important that your referees comment on your skill in Japanese in the areas of reading, composition and speaking.
- Applicant must possess an MA degree from SOAS or an equivalent institution in a relevant subject.
- Candidates must have an offer of admission by the program deadline.
- Applicants (new admissions, i.e. starting in September 2019) must meet the English language condition of their offer of admission to study at SOAS as soon as possible but no later than 1 June 2019. If your offer is conditional on English, please arrange your English test and ensure you meet the English requirements as soon as possible.
English Language Requirements: Applicants whose first language is not English are usually required to provide evidence of proficiency in English at the higher level required by the University.
How to Apply: Applicants should follow the following steps:
- STEP1: Apply for the opportunity by 16:00 (UK local time) on 1 May 2019.
You can apply for this application via the on-line application form which will open HERE on 23 January 2019.
Current SOAS MPhil/PhD students only: In addition to the on-line application form, you will also need two references. Please send the reference form to each of your referees together with a copy of your completed application form. The Meiji Jingu reference form can be downloaded from the top right hand corner of this page from 23 January 2019.
- STEP 2: Apply for your programme
In addition to the on-line application, new applicants only (new admissions, starting in September 2019), must submit a COMPLETE on-line application for admission.
Applicants must have an offer of admission to a degree programme at SOAS by the application deadline. A complete application for admission includes transcripts, an explanation of the grading system for any degrees obtained outside of the UK, two references, CV, a personal statement and a research proposal. The panel will be considering your application TOGETHER with your online application for admission. Please note that complete applications for admission can take up to 4 weeks to be considered by the Department, although this duration can vary depending on the time of year. You should be prepared to wait up to 6 weeks in busy periods.
It is recommended to apply for the programme about six weeks BEFORE the program deadline (that is, by 20 March 2019).