New Zealand Government offers Prime Minister Scholarships for New Zealand students. The Prime Minister’s Scholarships for Latin America is a program funded by the New Zealand government and administered by Education New Zealand.
The aims to the program strengthen New Zealand institutions’ connections with their counterparts in key Latin America countries, promote understanding of the strength and quality of New Zealand’s education system and raise awareness in Latin America of New Zealand as a preferred education destination.
Preference is currently for applicants undertaking appropriate programs in Colombia and Brazil. Other Latin American countries such as Mexico, Chile, Argentina, and Peru are also included. Individuals or groups may check with ENZ if preferred destination institution is not listed as having a formal relationship with a New Zealand institution.
University or Organization: New Zealand Government
Course Level: Undergraduate or postgraduate programs
Access Mode: Online
Number of Awards: NA
Nationality: New Zealand citizens or Permanent Residents
The program can be taken in New Zealand
Application Deadline: 30th Aug (round 1) and 30th March (round 2)
- New Zealand citizens or Permanent Residents are eligible to apply for these awards.
- Candidates must be at least 18 years old at the date of applying for the free study, and be New Zealand citizens or hold a New Zealand Permanent Resident Visa, i.e., have resided in NZ for 12 of the previous 24 months
- Applicants must propose programs that can be demonstrated to be linked to New Zealand’s education, economic or trade agenda in Latin America, and may include business, social sciences, the creative arts and culture, indigenous studies, ICT/new media.
How to Apply
- How to Apply: The mode of application is online. Applications for individuals are now open for the current round of the Prime Minister’s funding for Latin America.
- Supporting Documents: To apply, students must be ready to submit the Curriculum Vitae, Proof of Citizenship, Officially verified Academic Transcripts, a 120-second video.
- Language Requirements: Applicants from outside the home country will often need to meet specific English language/other language requirements in order to be able to study there.
The education is awarded to individuals and currently covers the following costs relating to the study, internship or research in Latin America:
1.Individuals on the exchange, internship or other independent programs
- Tuition fees of Latin American institutions (not NZ fees)
- Internship brokerage fees
- Return economy class flights NZ-Latin America – NZ$2,500
- Contribution to living, accommodation, visa, insurance, etc costs of $270 per week on a study program. Click here for a list of insurance requirements
2. Individuals on group programs
- New Zealand Tertiary providers/institutions may apply to the PMSLA to fund a group (3+) to travel together to Latin America on a specified program that meets PMSLA goals
- Group programs are applied for separately under the PMSLA and have their own application and reporting requirements. Funding for individuals on group programs is as above.