The NUS-Overseas Graduate Scholarship (NUS-OGS) Scheme is part of NUS’ continuing efforts to nurture high calibre Singaporeans for a career in academia by supporting their doctoral studies abroad. The course of study and area of research pursued should be relevant to the Department and Faculty’s current and future strategic areas of teaching and research.
The aim of the scholarship is to is to help talented students who need aids to achieve their desired future.
The NUS-Overseas Graduate Scholarship (NUS-OGS) Scheme is part of NUS’ continuing efforts to nurture high calibre Singaporeans for a career in academia by supporting their doctoral studies abroad.
- Application deadline: December 31, 2017
- Course Level: The scholarship is available to pursue doctoral programme.
- Study Subject: The course of study and area of research pursued should be relevant to the Department and Faculty’s current and future strategic areas of teaching and research.
- Scholarship Award: The scholarship will cover the followings:
- Two sets of economy-class return airfare for travel between Singapore and place of study; one for the commencement/completion of study and the other for a required summer visit back to NUS. Successful applicant are expected to bear the cost of the airfare(s) for their accompanying spouse and family;
- Tuition fees and other compulsory fees, eligibility to be decided on a caseby-case basis;
- Maintenance allowance, eligibility and quantum to be decided on a caseby-case basis;
- Conference and fieldwork grants, available by application;
- Medical insurance coverage (only for staff) at institution of study; and
- NUS-OGS awardees are expected to secure external funding and not require a salary in general. Eligibility for salary during the scholarship term will be decided on a case-by-case basis.
- Nationality: Singapore
- Number of Scholarships: Number of scholarship is not given.
- Scholarship can be taken in Singapore
Eligibility for the Scholarship:
- Eligible Countries: Singapore
- Entrance Requirements: Applicants must meet following criteria:
- Is a Singapore Citizen or Permanent Resident;
- Has outstanding undergraduate academic records (at least a Bachelor’s degree with 2nd Upper Honours);
- Has shown a certain degree of aptitude for teaching and research;
- Has obtained outside funding, e.g. Fellowships, Teaching and/or Research Assistantships which usually come with a waiver of tuition fees and/or stipend.
- Those who meet the above eligibility conditions and are currently already pursuing their doctoral degree in top overseas universities are also welcome to apply.
- Applications, together with the supporting documents listed in paragraph 2 below, should be submitted to the respective Deans of Faculties/Schools through the Heads of Departments by 31 December 2017 (i.e. application closing date);
- Applicants who are not staff of the University at the point of application should refer to the University’s website education for the list of Faculties/Schools (and the Departments within the Faculties/Schools), and submit their application to the respective Department where they would like to pursue an academic career upon completion of the postgraduate studies.
How to Apply:
- Applicant’s latest curriculum vitae (which should include details on any teaching experience at undergraduate and above levels of studies) and publication list;
- An abstract of any thesis previously written;
- 3 Copies of 2 or 3 pieces of research/design work that the applicant considers to be his/her most significant works;
- A proposal of at least 2 research topics which he/she intends to pursue, with a minimum of a half-page write-up on the details of each proposed topic.
- A copy of applicant’s NRIC and entry/re-entry permit (for Singapore Permanent Residents);
- A copy each of the detailed results/transcripts of the following examinations:
- GCE ‘O’ & ‘A’ Levels / School & Higher School Examinations / NUS High Final Year and Year 4 results / International Baccalaureate (IB) / Polytechnic Diploma or equivalent
- University degree(s)
- A copy each of the following certificates:
- GCE ‘O’ & ‘A’ Levels / School & Higher School Examinations / NUS High Diploma / International Baccalaureate (IB) / Polytechnic Diploma or equivalent University degree(s)
- A copy of the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) or Graduate Record Examination (GRE) score sheet, if applicable;
- A copy of the letter(s) of offer from each university applied to for admission to graduate programme;
- A copy of the letter(s) of offer for other scholarship(s) and/or award(s) applied for and the outcome of these applications;
- A completed Personal Particulars Form available from and NUS Personal Data Consent for Job staff of NUS at the point of application; and
- A minimum of 2 confidential referees’ reports. In the interest of time, the full application materials indicated in paragraph 2 above, except the referees’ reports, may be submitted to the respective Heads of Departments in advance, and the referees’ reports may be sent directly to the Heads of Departments by the application closing date.