The OIST Graduate School makes available education and research opportunities through its Research Intern program in STEM fields. The duration of the internship is usually from 2 to 6 months. These short-term appointments give students the chance to gain experience in a particular laboratory or to pick up a specific technique.
Students in bachelor and master programs or newly graduated concerned with joining the OIST PhD program may undertake learning activities at OIST as Research Interns. A research internship at OIST provides students with experience working in a research atmosphere under the direction of OIST faculty.
OIST Research Internship Program for Students from Japan or Overseas
Nice offer for Japanese or Overseas students.
User Review( votes)
Founded on 1 November 2011, OIST offers education at international standard through courses, independent study and extra-curricular activities. Here all education and research are conducted entirely in English and over half of the faculty and students are recruited from outside Japan.
Why at the OIST? OIST Graduate School offers a 5-year PhD program in Science. It has a mission to provide first-class graduate education to the highest level. The school identifies every student as a unique individual in need of a modified program.
Application Deadline: April 15th 2023, 23:59 (JST UTC+9) for fall 2023 internship.
- University or Organization: Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST)
- Department: OIST Graduate School
- Course Level: PhD program
- Award: Internship
- Access Mode: Online
- Number of Awards: NA
- Nationality: International
- The award can be taken in Japan
- Eligible Countries: All nationalities
- Acceptable Course or Subjects: Research Intern program in STEM fields
- Admissible Criteria: To be eligible, the applicants must meet all the following criteria:
- Those eligible to apply for the OIST Research Internship Program include excellent students who are in the final 2 years of the undergraduate or Masters’s Programs in universities, colleges, junior colleges, and vocational schools in Japan or overseas, or graduates of such institutions. Currently, enrolled students must have approval from their home institution. The academic background of applicants should be appropriate to their desired host unit(s) at OIST.
- Research Interns who belong to a Japanese university/institution are required to prepare and bring their own insurance when accepted to the OIST Research Internship program.
- Due to COVID-19, arrivals of students residing outside of Japan are subjected to international travel restrictions and quarantine requirements at the time of arrival.
How to Apply
Applications to the program must be made through the online form. The period of the internship must be between 2 and 6 months consecutively.
- How to Apply: Once applicants have obtained/ prepared all the documents above, apply to the program through this Application Form.
- Supporting Documents: Applicants must submit all the following:
- The Statement of Interest (write 400 words) form is provided on the online application form.
- Academic Transcript and Diploma: Scanned copies of your current academic transcript and any other transcript from your past degree or diploma (BSc, MSc, etc.).
- A letter of reference from an academic or research professional familiar with your work is required.
- ID Photo: Upload a recent photo, showing your face from the front in standard passport orientation.
- Entry Requirements: Applicants can only submit their application after at least one recommendation letter is received in the application system.
- Language Requirement: English
Research Intern places are awarded twice a year on a competitive basis. OIST will provide the following support for successful applicants.
- Internship Allowance: JPY 2,400 per working day (Non-taxable and weekends excluded)
- Commuting Allowance: OIST Shuttle Bus Pass
- Travel Expenses: One direct round-trip air ticket (travel date will be the closest date to the term of placement)
- Accommodation: Furnished apartment on or off campus
- Other Support: OIST will also assist in visa acquisition, insurance procedures, and local registration.
Note: Selection is highly competitive, and depends on the suitability of the intended research, academic background, available funding and space.