Applications are invited for Ontario Graduate Scholarship (OGS) Program from Canadian citizen, Permanent Resident, or Protected Person and international students who are studying in Ontario with a student study permit. The value of scholarship is $5,000 per term up to a maximum of $15,000 per academic year.
The Ontario Graduate Scholarship (OGS) Program provides funding to students in graduate studies at the master’s and doctoral levels. It’s a merit-based scholarship, with awards available to graduate students attending participating schools in Ontario in all disciplines of academic study.
User Review( votes)
The OGS program is jointly funded by the Province of Ontario and the university awarding the program. Ontario contributes two-thirds of the value of the award and the university provides one-third. This year, Ontario provided about $30 million towards these endowments and participating schools provided $15 million.
- Application deadline: Application, document and review details for this application vary by school. Check with your school’s Graduate Studies Office for deadline information.
- Course Level: The studentships are available to graduate students (master’s or doctoral levels) attending participating schools (Brock University; Carleton University; University of Guelph; Lakehead University; Laurentian University; McMaster University; Nipissing University: OCAD University; University of Ontario Institute of Technology; University of Ottawa; Queen’s University; Ryerson University; University of Toronto; Trent University; University of Waterloo; Western University; Wilfrid Laurier University; University of Windsor and York University) in Ontario.
- Study Subject: The studentships are awarded in all disciplines of academic study.
- Award: OGS awards are based on the number of terms your consecutive studies within an academic year:
- $10,000 for 2 consecutive terms of study
- $15,000 for 3 consecutive terms of study
- Number of Awards: Numbers are not given.
- Nationality: Canadian citizen, Permanent Resident, or Protected Person and international students
- The award can be taken in Canada
- Eligible Countries: Canadian citizen, Permanent Resident, or Protected Person and international students who are studying in Ontario with a student study permit are eligible to apply.
- Entrance Requirements: To be considered for an OGS, a student must be:
- A Canadian citizen, Permanent Resident, or Protected Person [under subsection 95(2) of the Immigration and Refugee Protections Act (Canada)] at the time of the OGS application deadline date.
- International students who are studying in Ontario with a student study permit under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (Canada) are eligible for the allotted international student award.
- Enrolled or plan to enrol in a full-time program of study at participating schools for the 2016-2017 academic year that leads to a graduate degree and is approved for operating grant purposes by the ministry.
- Enrolled in 60% or more of a full course load, or 40% or more for students with permanent disabilities.
- English Language Requirements: Students must meet the following eligibility requirements to be considered for this application : Students must be in graduate studies in the master’s or doctoral level or Students must be enrolled in a full-time program for 2 or more terms (21 to 52 weeks in total) for the academic you’re submitting your application.
OGS applications are normally available in October. Each participating school has its own unique OGS application.
How to Apply: Students interested in an Ontario graduate funding opportunities (OGS) are reminded that each university awards these endowments individually and sets their own deadlines. Applicants must apply for an OGS to each of the universities they are interested in attending. Students already enrolled at a university should apply to their institution.
- Graduate Students who have access, must complete the online application and upload the requested documents (found in Carleton Central under Awards and Financial Assistance, Graduate Online Application Forms) by Nov. 15.
- Your referees will be notified by email once you have submitted your application. They will then have until Dec. 1 to submit their referee form.
- All Other Applicants fill out an OGS application form. This form is available under “Application Forms” on this page. Please DOWNLOAD the .pdf forms and complete. Once completed, you must print it and include it in your OGS application package. PLEASE NOTE: Applications must NOT be double-sided. You must assemble and submit an OGS application package that contains the following (scroll down to find forms):
- Completed OGS Application (all pages)
- Application Checklist
- Two Academic Assessment Reports (references). Note: You must have your Academic Assessment Reports completed by professors most familiar with your academic studies. The completed reports must be included in your OGS application package. If you can, have your academic assessors return the letters to you or ask if you may pick them up.
- Research/Program Statement (Tell the committee what you plan to study, the program’s fit with your studies and your career plans)
- Awards and Publication Pages (Optional, if you do not have any awards or publications you are not required to submit these pages.
- Temporary resident visa student – student study permit (if applicable)
- Get Transcripts (Official transcripts are required for OGS applications from any of the previous post- secondary institutions you have attended.)
- Request two References: We will accept one professional reference but it must speak to your academic abilities.
- Submit Your Completed Application (You should submit your complete application, with all official transcripts, references and other documents, to the graduate administrator at the department at Carleton that you are applying to.)
- Accept Your Offer (If you have a pending decision from SSHRC, NSERC or CIHR and have been successful in the OGS competition, please accept your OGS offer. If you then receive a positive result regarding a different external award, your funding with be revised. In order to accept this award, you will need to print out a form (available in the near future) and submit it by post or email.