The Organization for Women in Science for the Developing World (OWSD) is pleased to announce the OWSD PhD Fellowships for the academic session 2020-21.
The Fellowship is offered to women scientists from science- and technology-lagging countries (STLCs) to undertake PhD research in the natural, engineering and information technology sciences at a host institute in another developing country in the Global South.
A fine program for candidates.
User Review( votes)
The general purpose of the fellowship programme is to contribute to the emergence of a new generation of women leaders in science and technology and to promote their effective participation in the scientific and technological development of their countries.
- Application Deadline: Applications will open on February 3, 2020.
- Course Level: Fellowships are available for pursuing postgraduate studies leading to a doctorate degree at a centre of excellence (renowned research institutions/universities) in the South (developing countries) outside applicant’s home country.
- Study Subject: Applications are accepted from female scientists in all branches of the natural sciences.
- Agricultural Sciences
- Astronomy, Space and Earth Sciences
- Biological Systems and Organisms
- Chemical Sciences
- Computing and Information Technology
- Engineering Sciences
- Mathematical Sciences
- Medical and Health Sciences
- Structural, Cell and Molecular Biology
- Scholarship can be taken in South (developing countries), outside their own country
Eligibility for the Scholarship:
- Eligible countries: The list of eligible countries is also available here.
- Entrance Requirements: Candidates must confirm that they intend to return to their home country as soon as possible after the completion of the fellowship.
- Host institutes must be located in a developing country in the South
- A list of recommended institutes is available here.
- Candidates should identify a host institute outside their home country.
- English Language Requirements: Applicants from outside the home country will often need to meet specific English language/other language requirements in order to be able to study there.
- How to Apply: They strongly encourage eligible applicants to start gathering all requested documentation as soon as possible; sometimes it takes weeks to receive all relevant letters.
- PhD research proposal outline
- Degree certificates and transcripts
- Curriculum Vitae
- Preliminary acceptance letter
- Letter of commitment
- Reference letters
- Registration and No objection certificate
- Supporting statement from home supervisor
The OWSD fellowship covers:
- A monthly allowance to cover basic living expenses such as accommodation and meals while in the host country
- A special allowance to attend international conferences during the period of the fellowship
- A return ticket from the home country to the host institute for the agreed research period
- Visa expenses
- Annual medical insurance contribution
- The opportunity to attend regional science communications workshops, on a competitive basis
- Study fees in agreement with the chosen host institute which is also expected to contribute.