The United Nations University is now accepting applications for the PhD in Sustainability Science (2020) Scholarships. The scholarship is available to the applicants who must be from developing countries and can demonstrate a need for financial assistance.
JFUNU scholarship provides a monthly allowance of 120,000 JPY for living expenses for a maximum of 36 months. The program offers unique opportunities to interact with leading scholars and policymakers through lectures, international conferences, and workshops.
Excellent opportunity for international students to get funding for a PhD study in Japan.
User Review( votes)
The United Nations University (UNU) is a global think tank and postgraduate learning organization with headquarters in Japan. The mission of the UNU is to contribute to efforts to solve global problems of human existence, development, and welfare through cooperative research and education, which concern the United Nations, its people, and member states.
Why at UNU? United Nations University offers a unique educational opportunity available anywhere in the world. it offers a growing range of master’s, doctoral and short-term programmes that equip the leaders of tomorrow with the necessary academic foundations to effectively address pressing global problems.
- Application Deadline: April 10, 2020
- University or Organization: The United Nations University
- Department: NA
- Course Level: The scholarship is open to pursuing the PhD program.
- Scholarship Award: 120,000 JPY
- Access Mode: Online
- Numbers of Award: Very small number are available
- Nationality: developing countries
- Scholarship can be taken in Japan
- Language: English
Eligibility for the Scholarship
- Eligible Countries: Developing countries are eligible to apply
- Eligible Course or Subjects: The scholarship will be awarded in the field of sustainability
- Eligibility Criteria: To be eligible, the applicants must meet all the following criteria:
- Applicants must be from developing countries who can demonstrate a need for financial assistance
- A strong interest in sustainability studies
- A minimum of 2 years of practical field experience related to UNU-IAS research themes which were acquired after obtaining a university degree (full-time equivalent), or Two completed Master’s degrees, at least one of which must be in a discipline related to sustainability studies
- Those who expect to receive a second Master’s degree before the entrance period – September 2020 – may also apply
- Applicants who are currently living in Japan under a working visa are not eligible for the award.
- Applicants who want to pursue a second PhD degree at UNU-IAS are not eligible for the fund.
How to Apply
- How to Apply: To apply, the applicants must submit an online application through the link: http://postgraduate.ias.unu.edu/forms/
- Supporting Documents: As part of the application, the applicants must submit all the following required documents:
- Admission Requirements: A GPA of 3.5 or above on a 4.0 scale for at least one of the Master’s degrees earned
- Language Requirement: The minimum score requirements for English language qualifications required by UNU-IAS are: 600 on TOEFL – Paper-Based Testing (PBT) or 100 on TOEFL – Internet-Based Testing (IBT) or 7.0 on IELTS – Academic format
The JFUNU scholarship provides
- A monthly allowance of 120,000 JPY for living expenses for a maximum of 36 months.
- However, travel costs to and from Japan, visa handling fees, and health/accident insurance costs must be covered by the student.
- The tuition fees are fully waived for the scholarship recipients.