The Department of Ecology and Environmental Science (Umeå University, Sweden) invites applicants for a PhD position focused on drivers for the occurrence of potentially pathogenic bacteria in aquatic environments. Applicants are expected to begin your position in autumn 2018.
Sliperiet is a cross-disciplinary, collaborative and experimental platform at the Umeå Arts Campus. Sliperiet is a part of Umeå University, located at Umeå Arts Campus adjacent to the river. It is a place where researchers, businesses, students, entrepreneurs and creatives meet to develop and realize ideas.
User Review( votes)
Applicants whose first language is not English are usually required to provide evidence of proficiency in English at the higher level required by the University.
- Applications Deadline: 31 August 2018
- Course Level: Position is available to pursue PhD research prgramme.
- Study Subject: The Department of Ecology and Environmental Science opens a PhD student position focused on drivers for occurrence of potentially pathogenic bacteria in aquatic environments.
- Scholarship Award: Salary: According to agreements for PhD students. A PhD education comprises 4 years full time studies (240 ECTS credits).
- Nationality: This scholarship is available to the students of Sweden.
- Number of Scholarships: Numbers not given
- Scholarship can be taken in Sweden
Eligibility for the Scholarship:
Eligible Countries: This scholarship is available to the students of Sweden.
Entrance Requirements: Applicants must meet the following criteria:
To be admitted for PhD studies the applicant is required to have completed a second-cycle level degree, or completed course requirements of at least 240 ECTS credits, of which at least 60 ECTS credits are at second-cycle level, or have an equivalent education from abroad, or equivalent qualifications.
The candidate should have completed courses within a first-cycle subject relevant to ecology comprising at least 120 ECTS credits. At least one course at a second-cycle level in a subject that is central to the doctoral student’s planned specialization shall have been completed, as well an independent piece of work (degree project) with relevant specialization of at least 15 ECTS credits. We are looking for a candidate with the relevant academic background in molecular biology, ecology, statistics or corresponding education. It is qualifying to have good knowledge of genetic methods (e.g. DNA library prep, statistics), bioinformatics and/or microbial ecology.
The candidate should have a very good command in written and spoken English, be creative and able to take own initiative. The candidate is independent, has the social competence and collaborative ability. It is expected that the candidate develops independence and build up network contacts during the education.
English Language Requirements: Applicants whose first language is not English are usually required to provide evidence of proficiency in English at the higher level required by the University.
How to Apply: The application shall be done via our e-recruitment system and be submitted at the latest 31 August 2018.
The application should include:
- The letter where the applicant describes her/himself in relation to the above-described requirements, a motivation to why the applicant is interested in the position and a short description of the candidate´s research interests and ideas
- CV with academic qualifications.
- Publication list.
- An electronic copy of the MSc-thesis.
- Scientific articles, grade certificates or other documentation which supports the applicant´s qualification for the position.
- Contact information for three reference persons.
The evaluation will be based on the applicant´s letter, references, interview and the quality of the master thesis and other publications. The requirements must be fulfilled at the time of approval to the PhD position and may not need to be fulfilled at the time of the application.