Applications are invited for PhD position is available at Sokoine University of Agriculture (SUA) in Tanzania. Students from Tanzania are eligible to apply for this application program.
The project aims to help mitigate the effects of woody invasive alien species (IAS) on biodiversity, ecosystem services and human well-being in selected study areas in Ethiopia, Kenya, and Tanzania.
User Review( votes)
Sokoine University of Agriculture’s academic business is guided by the university’s vision and missions as well as the Corporate Strategic Plan (2016-2021), the latter that spells out plans in keeping with university’s core missions and functions as well as the need to remain competitive. The Vision of the University is “To be a leading University in the provision of quality knowledge and skills in agriculture and allied sciences”.
Course Level: Position is available to pursue PhD programme.
Study Subject: The PhD study will focus on woody IAS in the East Usambara Mountains and will run parallel to other two to be implemented in Awash river basin, Ethiopia, and Baringo County, Kenya, with the common broad objective to identify, test and monitor promising Sustainable Land Management (SLM) practices to mitigate negative effects of woody IAS in order to improve biodiversity, ecosystem services and rural livelihoods in East Africa.
Award: What the research project offers
- Work in a strong international team;
- Training in inter- and transdisciplinary research;
- PhD salary according to Tanzanian standards during the 3years (subject to approval of project’s second phase in September 2017);
- Field expenses and travel allowances;
- Supervision by experts from SUA, Tanzania and the Centre for Development and Environment (CDE; https://www.cde.unibe.ch), Switzerland.
Number of Awards: Not Known
The award can be taken in Tanzania
Eligibility: The following criteria must be met in order for applicants to be eligible for the opportunity :
- Masters in sociology or related fields;
- Experience with stakeholder or institutional analysis is an asset;
- High social competencies in interacting with stakeholders at different levels;
- Excellent skills in oral and written communications in English and ability to speak Kiswahili –Tanzania national language can be an added advantage;
- Great interest in working with an interdisciplinary and international team; and
- Willingness to travel and work in the field for extended periods.
Nationality: Students from Tanzania are eligible to apply for this application programme.
College Admission Requirement
Entrance Requirements: Applicants must be Masters in sociology or related fields.
English Language Requirements: Excellent skills in oral and written communications in English and ability to speak Kiswahili –Tanzania national language can be an added advantage.
How to Apply: Please send a CV, academic transcript, contact details for at least two academic references, and a brief outline of research interests to The Director, Directorate of Research and Postgraduate Studies, Sokoine University of Agriculture. P.O. Box 3151, Chuo Kikuu, Morogoro, Tanzania (copy to Prof. G. C. Kajembe- Project Leader email: kajembe-at-suanet.ac.tz/ kajembegc-at-yahoo.com).
Application Deadline: Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until August 30, 2017. Informal inquiries are welcome. Short-listed candidates will be contacted immediately after the deadline to set up interviews. The envisaged start date for the project is October/November 2017.