The Centre on Energy, Climate and Sustainable Development, part of the UNEP DTU Partnership, invites applications for a PhD research project focused on development implications of sustainable energy transitions in Sub Saharan Africa.
The Technical University of Denmark, often simply referred to as DTU, is a university in Kongens Lyngby, just north of Copenhagen, Denmark.
User Review( votes)
Applicants whose first language is not English are usually required to provide evidence of proficiency in English at the higher level required by the University.
Course Level: Scholarship is available for pursuing PhD program.
Study Subject: Scholarship is awarded for PhD research project focused on development implications of sustainable energy transitions in Sub Saharan Africa.
Scholarship Award: The salary and appointment terms are consistent with the current rules for PhD degree students. The period of employment is 3 years. The place of employment is the Centre on Energy, Climate and Sustainable Development of the UNEP DTU Partnership, located at the UN City in Copenhagen, Denmark.
Scholarship can be taken in Denmark
- Candidates should have a Master’s degree in a relevant social science discipline (for example development studies, human geography, international business and management, political science, innovation studies), ideally with a focus or component on sustainable energy and climate change mitigation and/or business and innovation studies. Strong oral and written English communication skills are essential. Knowledge of another major European language is desirable but not necessary, as is prior experience with working in a developing country.
- Candidates will be expected to demonstrate the ability to work independently, to plan and carry out independent research, including fieldwork in developing countries. Candidates are expected to have a high degree of self-motivation, leading their research project with the support of two co-supervisors.
Nationality: Citizens of all nationalities are eligible to apply.
College Admission Requirement
Entrance Requirement: Applicants must have master’s degree in a relevant social science discipline.
Test Requirement: No
English Language Requirement: Applicants whose first language is not English are usually required to provide evidence of proficiency in English at the higher level required by the University.
How to Apply: Please submit your online application no later than 7 October 2017. Applications must be submitted as one pdf file containing all materials to be given consideration. To apply, please open the link “Apply online,” fill in the online application form, and attach all your materials in English in one pdf file. The file must include:
- A letter motivating the application (cover letter)
- Curriculum vitae
- Grade transcripts and BSc/MSc diploma
- Excel sheet with translation of grades to the Danish grading system (see guidelines and excel spreadsheet here)
- Project proposal, including background, rationale, methodological approach, case study ideas (max 6 pages)
Application Deadline: Closed