Applications are invited for a full-time PhD (via MPhil) studentship in Astronomy or Astrophysics in the Jeremiah Horrocks Institute. The studentship is funded by STFC and is tenable for up to 3.5 years full-time and will cover the cost of tuition fees at UK/EU rates and a maintenance grant (14,296 at 2016/17 rates).
The aim of The grant is to give financial support to the students for their higher education.
User Review( votes)
UCLan is one of the UK’s largest universities with a student and staff community approaching 38,000. UCLan became the first UK modern university to appear in the QS World University Rankings. It is ranked second in the UK for the number of graduate start-ups still active overall and ranked third in the UK for estimate turnover for active firms. The University has an increasingly thriving campus in Cyprus delivering UCLan programmes and original research within a UCLan environment and culture
Course Level: These opportunities are available to pursue PhD (via MPhil) programme.
Study Subject: These opportunities are awarded in the subjects of Astronomy or Astrophysics, Social Work and Community Engagement, Physics or Astrophysics and Humanities and Social Sciences.
Award: These financial aid positions will cover the cost of tuition fees at UK/EU rates.
Numbers of Scholarships: Four opportunities are available.
The award can be taken in the UK
Eligibility: Applicants must meet the following area for these endowments:
- Settled status in the UK, meaning they have no restrictions on how long they can stay.
- Been ‘ordinarily resident’ in the UK for 3 years prior to the start of the studentship. This means they must have been normally residing in the UK (apart from temporary or occasional absences)
- Not been residing in the UK wholly or mainly for the purpose of full-time education. (This does not apply to UK or EU nationals).
- To be eligible for a fees-only award:
- Students from EU countries other than the UK are generally eligible for a fees-only award. To be eligible for a fees-only award, a student must be ordinarily resident in a member state of the EU; in the same way, as UK students must be ordinarily resident in the UK.
Nationality: Applicants of any nationality can apply for these endowments.
College Admission Requirement
Astronomy or Astrophysics:
- UK BSc 2:1 classification (or equivalent qualification) or a masters level qualification (EG MSc or MPhys) or equivalent qualification.
Social Work and Community Engagement
- Minimum entry: 2.1
Physics or Astrophysics
- BSc 2:1 or equivalent
Humanities and Social Sciences.
- 2:1 classification/restricted to UK residences only
English Language Requirement:
Astronomy or Astrophysics:
- EU applicants will require an English language level of IELTS 6.5 (no sub score below 6.0) or equivalent qualification.
How to Apply: Applicants can apply through online mode.
Physics or Astrophysics and Humanities and Social Sciences: The application deadline is Feb, 28,2017.
Social Work and Community Engagement: The application deadline is April 19, 2017.
Astronomy or Astrophysics: The application deadline is February, 26,2017.