The International Centre of Insect Physiology and Ecology (ICIPE), Kenya is inviting competent applicants to apply for PhD Scholarships in the African Regional Postgraduate Programme in Insect Sciences (ARPPIS).
The fundamental goal of the ARPPIS PhD Program is to train young African researchers to compete worldwide in research and development contexts within national, regional, and international research programmes.
Valuable chance for sub-Saharan countries students to study in Kenya
User Review( votes)
ICIPE is an African institute and a regional and global pioneer in research for development in insects and arthropods and their positive and negative consequences on food production, human and animal health, environmental sustainability, and livelihoods. ICIPE collaborates with a network of partners across the continent, including universities, NGOs, and the commercial sector. It employs around 500 people in Kenya, Ethiopia, Uganda, and Benin.
Why should you select this programme? ARPPIS scholars have access to excellent research facilities in an interdisciplinary setting as part of a three-year PhD programme that includes research, training, developing research partnerships, publishing scientific articles, writing grant proposals, and attending scientific meetings and international conferences. Scholars perform strategic, innovative research at the laboratories and field locations of ICIPE, which are located in several agroecological zones.
Application Deadline: April 24, 2023
- University or Organization: The International Centre of Insect Physiology and Ecology (ICIPE)
- Department: NA
- Course Level: Postgraduate Research Programme
- Award: Varies
- Access Mode: Online
- Number of Awards: NA
- Nationality: Nationals of sub-Saharan countries
- The award can be taken in the: Kenya
- Eligible Countries: Countries in Sub-Saharan Africa.
- Acceptable Course or Subjects: Molecular Biology
- Admissible Criteria: To be eligible, the applicants must meet all the following admissible criteria:
- A citizen of a Sub-Saharan African country.
- A bachelor’s degree in molecular biology or a similar discipline (at least Second Class/Upper Division or equivalent) is required.
- Master’s degree (at least Second Class/Upper Division or equivalent) in Molecular biology, bioinformatics, and biotechnology or a related discipline, with coursework and research in the topic relevant to the PhD dissertation.
- At the time of application, the master’s degree must have been completed within the last six years.
How to Apply
- How to Apply: Here’s the complete procedure to apply:
- Download the scholarship application form and fill it out.
- To apply, go to the online application platform and upload the required documents.
- Supporting Documents: Applicant must submit the following required documents:
- The application form has been completed.
- Curriculum Vitae Europass format.
- Official university certificates and transcripts, as well as any other professional or academic certificates, must be certified.
- A signed recommendation letter from your employer (if you are presently employed) or the university where you completed your MSc.
- A colorful close-up of your entire head and upper shoulders.
- A copy of your national identification card.
- Copy of Passport bio-data page for foreign nationalities
- Admission Requirements: Applicants must fulfill the following admission requirements:
- Completed application form, PhD project concept note based on the PhD project, and supporting documentation.
- Demonstrate clear motivation and dedication.
- Candidates who work at a public university or are being considered for university teaching or research staff positions are urged to apply.
- Female candidates, individuals from underserved regions or groups, and candidates with disabilities are especially encouraged to apply.
- Language Requirement: Applicants must fulfill the following language requirements:
- Must possess fluent English skills in both writing and speaking.
The university will provide all the following:
- The student will be co-supervised by ICIPE university professors and researchers.
- The PhD position includes a stipend as well as health insurance. It will also cover other expenses such as visas, office space, conferences, and research.
- The successful candidate will be a capable PhD student with a strong desire to pursue independent research.