SOAS, University of London is offering Public Financial Management free online course. This is a general level course, however some knowledge of economics, political science, or accounting may be useful.
This course will provide you with the knowledge and tools to understand and evaluate the management of financial resources across the public sector, wherever you are. The course will start on January 23, 2017.
User Review( votes)
Course At A Glance
Length: 4 weeks
Effort: 4 hours/week
Subject: Public Financial Management
Institution: SOAS, University of London and Future Learn
Certificate Available: Yes
Session: Course will start on January 23, 2017
SOAS, University of London is the only Higher Education institution in Europe specialising in the study of Asia, Africa and the Near and Middle East.
Why Take This Course?
This free online course will provide you with the knowledge and tools to understand and evaluate the management of financial resources across the public sector, wherever you are.
About This Course
What went wrong in Greece’s handling of its public debt? How does a city government like Detroit go from prosperity to bankruptcy? And how could the looting, theft and corruption in Malawi’s “cashgate” have been avoided?
We are all concerned about where “our” money goes. We all want good roads and schools, thriving industry, and personal and national security, but how can we be sure that public monies are being managed properly, and how can we hold those in charge to account?
By the end of the four-week course, you will be able to:
- Understand the basics of public financial management;
- Read simple public sector financial statements;
- Explain how governments raise finance through various means;
- Explain how the budget process works at national and sub-national levels;
- Understand how auditing is conducted in public sector organisations;
- And understand how public sector organisations are held accountable to the public.
This is a general level course, however some knowledge of economics, political science, or accounting may be useful. This course would also be of interest to those already working in public sector management or simply looking for a better understanding of contemporary financial issues.
She is a lecturer in Public Policy and Management at SOAS University of London. I do research on the management of public sector entities, public financial management, and regulation.
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Sign Up At FutureLearn
- Select a course and Join
- Once a course has started, applicant will be able to access the course material
- After the start date, student will be able to access the course by following the Go To Course link on My Courses page.
- Applicants can buy, to show that they have completed a FutureLearn course.
- On some FutureLearn courses, learners will be able to pay to take an exam to qualify for a Statement of Attainment. (These are university-branded, printed certificates that provide proof of learning on the course topic(s)).