Mitacs Globalink Research Awards are open to senior undergraduates and graduate students at Canadian universities. These are offered in partnership with Campus France must begin prior to December 31, 2017.
The award supports research collaborations between Canada and select partner countries. The award is open to graduate students in all disciplines. Select destinations are also open to senior undergraduates in all disciplines.
User Review( votes)
Mitacs is a national, not-for-profit organization that has designed and delivered research and training programs in Canada for 15 years. Working with 60 universities, thousands of companies, and both federal and provincial governments, we build partnerships that support industrial and social innovation in Canada.
Students need to demonstrate that they have a good level of written and spoken English.
Course Level: Awards support senior undergraduate and graduate student research projects abroad.
Study Subject: The awards are open to graduate students in all disciplines. Select destinations are also open to senior undergraduates in all disciplines.
- Mitacs issues the award letter after the student has provided their International Pre-Departure and Student Code of Conduct forms, respectively, and confirmed their project dates. Students cannot travel until Mitacs has issued both an outcome and award letter. Projects must begin within one year of the outcome letter being issued. (Awards offered in partnership with Campus France must begin prior to December 31, 2017.)
- Approved recipients will receive funds to support student travel and accommodation expenses, research-related expenses, and student stipend. Mitacs funds will be sent to the home university’s Office of Research Services (or equivalent) and administered as a research grant in the home supervisor’s name.
- Funding amounts vary by international partner and host country. Mitacs’ outcome letters will provide applicants with instructions for accessing partner funds (where applicable).
- Funds must be spent according to the proposal budget and Tri-Council eligible expenses
- Funding is based on a project duration of 12 weeks, though projects durations of up to 24 weeks are acceptable. Applicants are encouraged to seek support from other funding sources for longer durations and use prudence when allocating funds to travel and accommodations.
Scholarship can be taken in Brazil, China, France, India, Mexico and Tunisia
- Cannot undertake a research project at an institution where they have previously completed a degree and/or been employed
- Cannot undertake a research project in a country where they hold citizenship (unless they are a permanent resident or citizen of Canada)
- Must be registered for full-time studies at a Canadian university and remain as such throughout their Globalink Research Award
- Must be the legal age of majority in Canada (18 years of age or older)
- Must meet travel requirements for their intended destination, including visa and/or immigration requirements and associated documentation
- Cannot hold more than one Globalink Research Award per academic lifetime
- Undergraduate students can only travel to select destinations. These applicants must have completed their second year of studies prior to departure and maintain a B average in their two most recent semesters.
Nationality: Canadian citizen, permanent resident or international student (registered for full-time studies at a Canadian university) can apply for this award.
College Admission Requirement
Entrance Requirement: Applicants must be registered for full-time studies at a Canadian university and remain as such throughout their Globalink Research Award.
Test Requirement: No
English Language Requirement: Students need to demonstrate that they have a good level of written and spoken English.
How to Apply:
- Review all eligibility and award guidelines
- Collect all required signatures: student, home supervising professor, host supervising professor, and appropriate university office. Contact Mitacs at international(at)mitacs.ca if you require clarification.
- Submit the completed proposal by email to apply(at)mitacs.ca by the posted deadline. Please format your subject heading as follows: “Student first and last name_Destination_Mitacs partner, if applicable” (e.g., John Doe_France_Inria, Jane Doe_Brazil).
- Consult with your university’s international office to determine any requirements for international travel and research abroad
Travel to the destination is not permitted prior to the approval of the award AND Mitacs’ receipt of the International Pre-departure and Student Code of Conduct and Ethics forms. Neither Mitacs nor its international partners are responsible for costs incurred before an application is approved.
Application Deadline: Open for 2020.