The Asser Institute is inviting applications for five scholarships for Artificial Intelligence and International Law Winter Academy. The scholarships are funded by the municipality of The Hague and cover the registration fees.
The Winter Academy is designed for academics and professionals working on issues related to AI and international law. Participants to the programme will gain an understanding of the technical dimension of AI (through lectures, workshops, demonstrations).
The T.M.C. Asser Institute is a foundation (registered on 17 February 1994 with the Chamber of Commerce Haaglanden, The Netherlands, under file number 41158427), established in 1965 as an interuniversity institute for international law in The Hague. The institute is an internationally renowned centre of expertise in the fields of public international law, private international law, and European law. It fulfils an important role in undertaking fundamental and independent policy-oriented research and providing a platform for international cooperation and partnering in fields of law at the cutting edge of academia and practice.
- Applications Deadline: November 30, 2018
- Course Level: The Winter Academy is designed for academics and professionals working on issues related to AI and international law.
- Study Subject: The Winter Academy will offer foundational knowledge on key issues at the interface of international law and artificial intelligence, and provide a platform for critical debate and engagement on emerging questions. The programme will be structured along five themes: Understanding AI, AI for good, AI and armed conflict, AI and responsibility, and AI governance.
- Scholarship Award: The Hague and cover the registration fees. They do not cover travel costs, accommodation in The Hague, insurance, or other expenses.
- Nationality: Scholarships are available for International students.
- Number of Scholarships: Five scholarships are available.
- Scholarship can be taken in the Netherlands
Eligibility for the Scholarship
Eligible Countries: Scholarships are available for International students.
Entrance Requirements: Applicants must meet the following criteria:
The Winter Academy is designed for academics and professionals working on issues related to AI and international law. We invite participation from:
- Researchers and advanced students (Master or PhD) in the fields of international law, political science, philosophy, or computer science
- Policy analysts and legal advisers working on innovation and technology in public or private institutions
- Industry professionals interested in the law and governance of AI
English Language Requirements: Applicants whose first language is not English are usually required to provide evidence of proficiency in English at the higher level required by the University.
How to Apply: To apply for a scholarship, please fill out the following form: scholarship application. You will be asked to submit as one single PDF file a CV and a one-page letter of motivation (including an argument for scholarship eligibility).