The School of Medicine Dean’s Postdoctoral Fellowships encourages and support young investigators in the first two years of their postdoctoral (Ph.D. or M.D.) research training at the School of Medicine and who are under the mentorship of faculty in the School of Medicine. Applicants of all nationalities are eligible to apply for this fellowship program.
Stanford University School of Medicine is the medical school of Stanford University and is located in Stanford, California.
User Review( votes)
- Application Deadline: October 29, 2018
- Course Level: Fellowship is available for pursuing postdoctoral program.
- Study Subject: Fellowship is awarded within the School of Medicine.
- Award: The stipend for the January 1, 2019-December 31, 2019 and July 1, 2019 – June 30, 2020 cycles will be $30,000.
- Number of Awards: Not Known
- Nationality: All nationalities
- The award can be taken in the USA
- Eligible Countries: Applicants of all nationalities are eligible to apply for this fellowship program.
- Entrance Requirements:
- The applicant must be appointed as a postdoctoral scholar at the Stanford University School of Medicine at the time the award begins. If the applicant is not an appointed postdoctoral scholar at the time of the application deadline, additional documents must be submitted with the application (see application materials below).
- The faculty sponsor must be appointed in the School of Medicine. (Acting, consulting and courtesy appointees are not eligible.)
- Awardees cannot be enrolled in a degree-granting program while funded.
- Applicants in the first one or two years of postdoctoral research training are preferred.
- Foreign fellows must have visas that allow stipend support (typically a J-1 & F-1 OPT). H1-B and TN visa holders are not eligible. Citizenship is not a selection factor.
- Proposals for a second-year of funding: This is a one-year fellowship. Because of the size of the pool the committee no longer reviews second year applications.
Additional Application Guidelines:
- Faculty members may not have more than one funded Dean’s fellow at a time, except for Assistant Professors who may have two funded scholars at the same time.
- A faculty member may not serve as mentor/sponsor on more than one fellowship application per cycle. This applies to Assistant Professors as well.
- Funding is restricted to support investigative activities. Awardees must spend at least 80% of their time in research. If effort is reduced to less than 80% research while receiving funding, an exception must be requested and approved in advance.
- Funding is limited to stipend support paid directly to the postdoctoral scholar. The award may not be used to support research expenses or towards travel or tuition expenses.
- If the proposed research will involve animal and/or human subjects/protocols, the applicant should apply for the required protocols at the time of submission and not wait to be funded. The award cannot be activated without approved protocols. The protocols need to list the School of Medicine Dean’s Fellowship as a possible funding source.
- Re-applications from previous applicants whose applications were not funded are accepted.
- English Language Requirements: Applicants from outside the home country will often need to meet specific English language/other language requirements in order to be able to study there.
How to Apply: The mode of application is online. A complete application must be submitted online by the deadline. Please start your online application early to allow enough time for the system to solicit the required form from your faculty mentor which is due at the same time as your application.
Please carefully read the selection criteria, eligibility criteria, program participation requirements, and funding guidelines before starting the application process.
A complete application consists of:
- Complete online application form
- Applicant’s NIH Biosketch
- Research proposal: (uploaded by applicant online): Two page limit, including any graphics or charts. The research proposal must be written by the fellow and reviewed by the faculty sponsor. These two pages should include a brief statement of proposed investigation in the following sections: Background, Goals, Hypothesis, and Experimental methods). Formatting guidelines require at least 1-inch margins at the top, bottom, left and right; and 12 point or larger font. Include title of project on both pages and number pages. References may only be included if they are part of your two-page proposal.
- Faculty Sponsor’s Recommendation Form & Agreement (Note: this fellowship does not require a letter of recommendation.)
- Offer Letter – only if not currently appointed as a postdoctoral scholar in the Stanford School of Medicine
Please Note: This application does not go through RMG or OSR at Stanford.