The Simons Institute for the Theory of Computing is inviting applications for Simons-Berkeley Research Fellowship for Summer 2019, Fall 2019 and Spring 2020. The Institute expects to award about 30 Fellowships in 2019-2020 for International students.
The Simons Institute for the Theory of Computing is the world’s leading venue for collaborative research in theoretical computer science. Established on July 1, 2012 with a grant of $60 million from the Simons Foundation, the Institute is housed in Calvin Lab, a dedicated building on the UC Berkeley campus. The Simons Institute brings together the world’s leading researchers in theoretical computer science and related fields, as well as the next generation of outstanding young scholars, to explore deep unsolved problems about the nature and limits of computation.
- Applications Deadline: The deadline for receipt of complete Summer 2019 application materials (except letters) is November 15, 2018; late applications will not be considered. The deadline for receipt of recommendation letters is November 30, 2018.
The deadline for receipt of complete Fall 2019 and/or Spring 2020 application materials (except letters) is December 15, 2018; late applications will not be considered. The deadline for receipt of recommendation letters is December 31, 2018.
- Course Level: Fellowship is available to pursue research.
- Study Subject: In its seventh year, 2019-2020, the Institute will host four further research programs on the following topics: in Summer 2019, “Foundations of Deep Learning,” in Fall 2019, “Proofs, Consensus, and Decentralizing Society,” and in Spring 2020, “The Quantum Wave in Computing” and “Lattices: Algorithms, Complexity and Cryptography.” Descriptions of these programs and other information about the Institute can be found at berkeley.edu.
- Scholarship Award: Salaries and benefits are competitive and assistance with visas and housing will be provided.
- Nationality: Fellowships are available for international students.
- Number of Scholarships: The Institute expects to award about 30 Fellowships in 2019-2020.
- Scholarship can be taken in the USA
Eligibility for the Scholarship
Eligible Countries: Fellowships are available for international students.
Entrance Requirements: Applicants must meet the following criteria:
The Institute invites applications for Simons-Berkeley Research Fellowships for Summer 2019, Fall 2019 and Spring 2020. Simons-Berkeley Research Fellowships are intended for exceptional young scientists (within at most six years of the award of their PhD at the start of academic year 2019-2020). Applicants who already hold junior faculty or postdoctoral positions are welcome to apply. In particular, applicants who hold, or expect to hold, postdoctoral appointments at other institutions are encouraged to apply to spend the duration of one program as a Simons-Berkeley Fellow subject to the approval of the postdoctoral institution. The Institute expects to award about 30 Fellowships in 2019-2020; the majority of these are for the duration of one program (either the summer or a semester), but several appointments for consecutive programs are expected to be made. Each Fellow will normally participate in at least one of the ongoing programs at the Institute and be resident for the full program.
The Institute particularly encourages applications from women and minority candidates.
English Language Requirements: Applicants whose first language is not English are usually required to provide evidence of proficiency in English at the higher level required by the University.
How to Apply: Each applicant for summer 2019, fall 2019 or spring 2020, or more than one of these, should prepare the following documents in a single PDF file:
- Cover letter, briefly describing your interest in the Institute and its programs
- Curriculum vitae, including a full list of publications
- Research statement