Do you want to support your higher education in Hungary? Apply for this Stipendium Hungaricum Scholarship for International PhD Program organized by the Hungarian Government.
The PhD scholarship is open for international students to study in Hungary. The scholarship program offers both full-degree and partial-study opportunities. The duration of doctoral programs is eight semesters divided into two different phases.
Stipendium Hungaricum Scholarship for International PhD Program
Great opportunity to study PhD in Hungary with fully-funded award.
User Review( votes)
The Hungarian Government launched the Stipendium Hungaricum Scholarship Programme in 2013. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade manages the program and is coordinated by Tempus Public Foundation.
Why apply for this program? The program is open to provide opportunities for international students to pursue their higher education studies in Hungary. The program’s core mission is to increase the number of worldwide students in Hungary and boost Hungarian higher education institutions to attract top international students.
Application Deadline: 16 January 2023.
- University or Organization: Hungarian Government
- Department: All
- Course Level: PhD
- Award: Fully-Funded
- Access Mode: Online
- Number of Awards: Varies
- Nationality: International
- The award can be taken in Hungary
- Eligible Countries: All nationalities.
- For both – 1) For full-time programs, and 2) For partial (exchange) study programs: –
- Argentine Republic, Belize, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Democratic Republic of São Tomé and Príncipe, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka, Federal Republic of Nigeria, Georgia, Ibero-American General Secretariat (eligible member states: Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Ecuador, El Salvador, Mexico, Peru, Uruguay, Venezuela), Japan, Kingdom of Morocco, Lao People’s Democratic Republic, Lebanese Republic, Malaysia, Montenegro, Oriental Republic of the Uruguay, People’s Republic of Bangladesh, People’s Republic of China , Republic of Albania, Republic of Angola, Republic of Azerbaijan, Republic of Botswana, Republic of Burundi, Republic of Chile, Republic of Colombia, Republic of Costa Rica, Republic of Cuba, Republic of Ghana, Republic of Indonesia, Republic of Kenya, Republic of Korea, Republic of Kosovo, Republic of Maldives, Republic of Mali, Republic of Moldova, Republic of North Macedonia, Republic of Panama, Republic of Peru, Republic of Rwanda, Republic of Seychelles, Republic of Sierra Leone, Republic of Singapore, Republic of the Marshall Islands, Republic of the Philippines, Republic of South Africa, Republic of Uganda, Republic of Uzbekistan, Republic of Yemen, Russian Federation, Saint Lucia, Socialist Republic of Vietnam, State of Eritrea, State of Israel, State of Kuwait, Sultanate of Oman, Syrian Arab Republic, Taiwan, The Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan, Turkmenistan, United Arab Emirates, United Mexican States, United Republic of Tanzania.
- The following countries are also eligible for full-time programs: the Arab Republic of Egypt, the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia, the Federative Republic of Brazil, the Islamic Republic of Iran, the Islamic Republic of Pakistan, the Kingdom of Cambodia,
- Kingdom of Thailand, Kurdistan Regional Government/Iraq, Kyrgyz Republic, Mongolia, Pacific Alliance (member states: Chile, Colombia, Mexico, and Peru), State of Palestine, People’s Democratic Republic of Algeria, Republic of Belarus, Republic of Cabo Verde, Republic of Ecuador, Republic of India, Republic of Iraq, Republic of Kazakhstan, Republic of Liberia, Republic of Namibia, Republic of Serbia, Republic of Sudan, Republic of the Union of Myanmar, Republic of Tajikistan, Republic of Turkey, Tajikistan, Tunisian Republic, and Ukraine,
- Acceptable Course or Subjects: The scholarship will be awarded in any subject offered by the university
- Admissible Criteria: To be eligible, the applicants must meet all the following:
- Doctoral applicants are also required to contact their chosen Host Institutions and doctoral schools in advance to discuss the available research topics in the institution and the possible supervisors for those topics.
- All students applying for a doctoral program must have a supervisor at their selected Host University.
How to Apply
Both full-degree and partial (exchange) study modes are available.
- How to Apply: The online application system can be reached here: stipendiumhungaricum.hu
- Supporting Documents: All the following documents are compulsory to be submitted in the online application system:
- A photo, motivation letter, language proficiency proof, master’s degree certificates, research plan, letter of recommendation, statement of the supervisor, transcript of records, copy of identification document, acceptance of statement for an application, copy of the valid passport, and Medical Certificates.
- Admission Requirements: All applicants of doctoral programs are required to visit http://www.doktori.hu before they submit their application. To see the entry requirements, check the online application system (https://apply.stipendiumhungaricum.hu/)
- Language Requirement: All applicants must provide a certificate of language proficiency and a copy of Hungarian language proof as foreign language knowledge has to be uploaded as part of the application in the online system.
The university will provide all the following:
- Tuition-free education – exemption from the payment of tuition fee
- Monthly stipend – doctoral level: according to the current Hungarian legislation, the monthly amount of scholarship is HUF 140,000 (cca EUR1 331 for the first phase of education (4 semesters) and HUF 180,000 (cca EUR 425) for the second phase (4 semesters) – for 12 months a year, until completion of studies.
- The accommodation contribution mentioned in the statement is a benefit provided to scholarship recipients to help cover the cost of their housing. The benefit is either a free dormitory place or a monthly contribution of HUF 40,000 (Hungarian forint) towards rental costs. This contribution may only cover part of the rental costs in larger cities, particularly in the capital. It is up to the scholarship recipient to decide whether to accept the free dormitory place or receive the monetary contribution towards rental costs.
- Medical insurance – health care services according to the relevant Hungarian legislation (Act LXXX of 1997, national health insurance card) and supplementary medical insurance for up to HUF 65,000 (cca EUR 153) a year/person.