Applications are now open for the 2019 Summer Research Scholarships. Honours and postgraduate students studying at an Australian tertiary institution who have commenced or have successfully completed at least one year of postgraduate study are eligible to apply.
The purpose of the Summer award is to contribute to scholarship on the Parliament and its work, increase awareness of the Parliamentary environment, help build relevant research expertise, and Promote the work of the Parliamentary Library and its potential as a future employer.
User Review( votes)
The Parliamentary Library provides high-quality information, analysis and advice to Senators and Members of the House of Representatives in support of their parliamentary and representational roles, as well as to their staff, the staff of committees, and the Governor-General.
- Application Deadline: Currently not open
- Course Level: The Parliamentary Library is offering six-week Summer Research Scholarships in January–February 2017 to support a research project on a topic of mutual interest to the Scholar and to the Australian Parliament.
- Study Subject: Scholars are able to research a subject that is relevant to the Parliament, and which is of mutual interest to both the Scholars and the Parliamentary Library. Politics and public administration, Environment and resources, Foreign affairs, defence and security, Social policy, Law, Statistics and mapping and Economics
- Award: Summer Research Scholars also participate in a number of activities during the program period, including:
- An induction program where scholars learn about the role of the Parliamentary Library, its place in the parliamentary environment, and the purpose and style of its research publications
- Research section meetings as appropriate and other Library activities
- Functions with summer research scholars from the National Library of Australia and the Australian War Memorial and
- A guided tour of Parliament House.
Upon successful completion of the program, an honorarium of $1,800 is awarded.
- Number of Awards: Not Known
- Nationality: Australian citizens or have Australian permanent resident status
- The award can be taken in the Australian Parliament in Canberra, Australia
- Eligible Countries: Australian citizens or have Australian permanent resident status are eligible to apply for these endowments.
- Entrance Requirements: The Parliamentary Library is a unique research environment and the Summer Research Scholarship allows scholars to understand and work within this important national institution. The scholarship also gives recipients the opportunity to:
- build research expertise
- contribute to scholarship on the Parliament and its work
- receive training and access the Library’s specialist collections and databases
- interact with subject-matter experts and
- be guided by a mentor who will provide advice during the program.
How to Apply: Applications for the 2019 Parliamentary Library Summer Research support will close at midnight on Sunday 23 September 2018. Applications are to be submitted by email to- parliamentary.librarian-a-aph.gov.au. All applications will be acknowledged within one working day of receipt. No late applications will be considered.