Boston University is accepting applications for the Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship (SURF) Program for the students of USA. The SURF program is for conducting research in the fields of Biology, Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, Ecology, Genetics and Environmental Sciences.
SURF is designed to encourage graduate education in the field of sciences for talented undergraduate students.
Nice offer to get a degree with financial support.
User Review( votes)
Boston University’s aim is to examine the impact of the division between further and higher education on strategies to widen participation in undergraduate education.
Course Level: SURF program is open to undergraduate students.
Study Subject: Research projects are in areas related to Biology and the interaction of genes with environmental factors.
The award can be taken at USA (Boston University)
- Nationality: Fellowship is open only to US citizens and Permanent Residents
- Graduate education for talented undergraduate students, especially those from minority groups, traditionally underrepresented in the sciences – African-American, Hispanic, Native American/Native Alaskan, and Pacific Islander/Native Hawaiian/Polynesian – or persons living with disabilities.
- Rising Juniors and Rising Seniors are given preference
- The SURF program is open to students who are conducting research in the following areas:
- Molecular Biology
- Environmental Sciences
How to Apply:
The mode of applying is online. To apply for the SURF program, click here.
- College Admission Requirement: Applicants must have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above
- Supporting Material: You will need to fill out an application, provide a transcript, and ask two professors to submit letters of recommendation.
- An unofficial copy of your transcript can be sent directly to [email protected] with the subject line “[Student’s Full Name] Unofficial Transcript”.
- Letters of recommendation can be sent by your recommenders directly to [email protected] with the subject line “NSF-REU Letter of Recommendation for [Student’s Full Name]“.
- Alternatively, your recommenders can choose to mail their letters directly to the Biology Department at this address (we prefer emailed):
Boston University – Biology Department (ATTN: Melissa Berry)
5 Cummington Mall
Boston, MA 02215
- On-campus housing, a stipend, weekly enrichment activities, social events, and an October weekend trip to present findings at the Boston University Undergraduate Research Symposium are also included.
- SURF participants are provided with Boston University housing in an apartment-style double room for the duration of the program.
- All participants receive the following:
- A $5,500 stipend
- A $500-600 supplies allowance for the lab
- Up to $500 in travel expenses
- Housing in a BU apartment-style dorm
- Travel & lodging during the weekend of the October Undergraduate Research Symposium
- The application period for the Summer 2020 SURF program will be from Mid-December to Mid-February.
- For Summer 2020 the SURF program will run from early June to early August