Get financial support to start your academic journey in South Africa. The World Academy of Sciences is giving an opportunity to apply for the TWAS-NRF Doctoral Fellowship.
In partnership with South Africa’s National Research Foundation (NRF) and the Department of Science and Technology (DST), the educational award is designed for international aspirants and prepares young scientists for developing the world.
A fine choice for Citizens of Developing Countries to study in South Africa.
User Review( vote)
The World Academy of Sciences is a merit-based science academy uniting 1,000 scientists in some 70 countries. Its principal aim is to promote scientific capacity and excellence for sustainable development in the South.
Why should apply for the doctoral program? By joining this program, students will get to experience new things in diverse fields and many opportunities for reaching the top of their desired future.
Application Deadline: The applications for this grant will be accepted only through 8 July 2022
- Provider: The World Academy of Sciences
- Department: Department of Science and Technology
- Course Level: PhD
- Awards: Varies
- Access Mode: Online
- Number of Awards: NA
- Nationality: Developing Countries
- The award can be taken in South Africa
- Eligible Countries: Afghanistan, Albania, Algeria, Angola, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Armenia, Aruba, Azerbaijan, Bahamas, Bahrai, Bangladesh,Barbados,Belarus,Belize,Benin,Bhutan,Bolivia,Bosnia and Herzegovina, Botswana, Brazil, Brunei, Bulgaria, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cambodia, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Central African Rep., Chad, Chile, China, Colombia, Comoros, Congo, Dem. Rep., Congo, Rep., Costa Rica, Côte d’Ivoire, Cuba, Djibouti, Dominica, Dominican Rep., Ecuador, Egypt, El Salvador, Eritrea, Eswatini, Kingdom of Ethiopia, Fiji, Gabon, Gambia, Georgia, Ghana, Grenada, Guatemala,Guinea,Guinea Equatorial,Guinea-Bissau,Guyana,Haiti,Honduras,India,Indonesia,Iran, Isl. Rep., Iraq, Jamaica, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Kiribati, Korea, DPR, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Lao PDR, Lebanon, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Maldives,Mali, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Mauritius, Mayotte, Mexico, Micronesia, Federated States of Moldova, Republic of Mongolia, Montenegro, Morocco, Mozambique, Myanmar, Namibia, Nepal, Nicaragua, Niger, Nigeria, North Macedonia, Republic of Oman, Pakistan, Palau, Palestine (West Bank and Gaza Strip),Panama, Papua New, Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Qatar, Romania, Rwanda, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Samoa, São Tomé and Príncipe, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Serbia, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Solomon Islands, Somalia, South Sudan, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Suriname, Syria, Taiwan, China,Tajikistan,Tanzania,Thailand,Timor-Leste,Togo,Tonga,Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Tuvalu, Uganda, Ukraine, United Arab, Emirates, Uruguay, Uzbekistan, Vanuatu, Venezuela, Vietnam, Yemen, Zambia, and Zimbabwe.
- Acceptable Course or Subjects: PhD degree in Agricultural Sciences, Structural, Cell and Molecular Biology, Biological Systems and Organisms, Medical and Health Sciences inch Neurosciences, Chemical Sciences, Engineering Sciences, Astronomy, Space and Earth Sciences, Mathematical Sciences, and Physics
- Admissible Criteria: To be eligible, the applicants must meet all the following criteria:
- Must have obtained a minimum of 65% at the masters’ level to apply for doctoral funding
- Must register at a South African public university in 2021, on a full-time basis and may be based at any South African public research institution including Higher Education Institutions (HEIs), Science Councils and National Research Facilities
- Must be a maximum of 32 years of age by 31 December of the year of application
How to Apply
- How to Apply: Candidates must have to register themselves in a postdoctoral degree program at any university in South Africa. After registering they can apply for the grant through the online application submission.
- Supporting Documents: Applicants must provide an official letter from their host South African institution, department or laboratory and motivation from the applicant’s host. It is the responsibility of the applicant to contact the respective institution to apply for acceptance and an English language proficiency certificate.
- Admission Requirements: For studying this program, you must have a master’s degree in the field of natural sciences.
- Language Requirement: If English is not your first language then you will need to show that your English language skills are at a high enough level to succeed in your studies.
NRF will provide travel to and from South Africa, a standard monthly allowance that should be used to cover living costs, such as accommodation, food and health insurance.