Applications are invited for TWAS-USM fellowships available for developing countries‡ scholars (other than Malaysia). Fellowships are available for pursuing research at postgraduate and postdoctoral level at the Universiti Sains Malaysia.
The aim of the TWAS-CSIR Fellowships is to enable and encourage academically able students from developing countries.
User Review( votes)
With the world‡s largest South-South Ph.D. and post-doctoral research fellowship program, TWAS helps early-career researchers to gain education and experience at top global science institutions.
Applicants must hold a Master’s/Ph.D. degree in a field of natural sciences.
Course Level: Fellowships are available for pursuing research at postgraduate (Ph.D.) and postdoctoral level at Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM).
Study Subject(s): Fellowships are awarded in the field of natural sciences (Agricultural Sciences, Structural, Cell and Molecular Biology, Biological Systems and Organisms, Medical and Health Sciences incl. Neurosciences, Sciences, Engineering Sciences, Astronomy, Space, and Earth Sciences, Mathematical Sciences, and Physics) at the Universiti Sains Malaysia.
Award: USM will provide a standard monthly allowance which should be used to cover living costs, such as accommodation and food.
The award can be taken in Malaysia
Eligibility: Applicants for these fellowships must meet the following criteria:
- Be a maximum age of 35 years on 31 December of the application year.
- Be nationals of a developing country (other than Malaysia).
- Must not hold any visa for temporary or permanent residency in Malaysia or any developed country.
- Hold a Master’s/Ph.D. degree in a field of natural sciences.
- apply for the fellowship within five years of having obtained a Ph.D. degree in a field of the natural sciences;
- Provide an official Preliminary Acceptance Letter from the Institute of Postgraduate Studies (IPS) USM to TWAS. Requests for Preliminary Acceptance
- Letters must be directed to the Dean, Institute of Postgraduate Studies, USM who will facilitate assignment of a host supervisor.
- Provide evidence of proficiency in English.
- Be financially responsible for any accompanying family member.
Open for International Students: Citizens of developing countries (other than Malaysia) can apply for these fellowships:
List of Countries: Afghanistan, Algeria, Angola, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bahamas, Bahrain Bangladesh, Barbados, Belarus, Belize, Benin, Bhutan, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Botswana, Brazil, Brunei, Bulgaria, Burkina Faso, Burma, Burundi, Cambodia, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Central African, Republic Chad, Chile, People‡s Republic of China, Colombia, Comoros, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Republic of the Congo, Costa Rica, Côte d‡Ivoire, Croatia, Djibouti, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Egypt, El Salvador, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Fiji, Gabon, The Gambia, Georgia, Ghana, Grenada, Guatemala, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Hungary, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Jamaica, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Kiribati, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Latvia, Lebanon, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Lithuania, Macedonia, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Maldives, Mali, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Mauritius, Mexico, Federated States of Micronesia, Moldova, Mongolia, Montenegro, Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Nauru, Nepal, Nicaragua, Niger, Nigeria, Oman, Pakistan, Palau, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Qatar, Romania, Russia, Rwanda, Saudi Arabia, Samoa, Sao Tome and Principe, Senegal, Serbia, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Solomon Islands, South Africa, Somalia, Sri Lanka, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint- Vincent and the Grenadines, South Sudan, Sudan, Suriname, Swaziland, Syria, Tajikistan, Tanzania, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Togo, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Tuvalu, Uganda, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, Uruguay, Uzbekistan, Vanuatu, Venezuela, Vietnam, Yemen, Zambia and Zimbabwe
College Admission Requirement
Entrance Requirement: Applicants must hold a Master’s/Ph.D. degree in a field of natural sciences.
Test Requirement: No
English Language Requirements: Applicants from outside the home country will often need to meet specific English language/other language requirements in order to be able to study there.
How to Apply: Applicants must submit the Preliminary Acceptance Letter from the Institute of Postgraduate Studies (IPS), USM when applying to TWAS or by the deadline at the latest. Without Preliminary Acceptance Letter, the application will not be considered for selection.
- Reference letters must be on letter-headed paper, Signed and sent as attachments via e-mail to TWAS and USM. The subject line must contain USM/PG/ and the candidate‡s surname. N.B. Only signed reference letters can be accepted. The letters can be submitted either by the referee or by the applicant directly.
- Applicants for the TWAS-USM Postgraduate Fellowship Programme should send their application to TWAS and USM (by email).
Application Deadline: The application deadline is 15th September 2016.