Job Description: For scientists from developing countries (other than Malaysia) who wish to pursue advanced research in natural sciences.
User Review( votes)
* TWAS-USM Visiting Scholar Fellowships in natural sciences are tenable for a minimum period of one month to a maximum of three months at a school/department of the Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM). For a complete list of schools and departments at USM see www.ips.usm.my.
* USM will provide a standard monthly allowance which should be used to cover living costs, such as accommodation, food and health insurance. The monthly stipend will not be convertible into foreign currency.
* The language of instruction is English.
Applicants for these Fellowships must meet the following criteria:
* Be a maximum age of 55 years on 31 December of the application year.
* Be nationals of a developing country (other than Malaysia).
* Hold a PhD degree in a field of the natural sciences and a regular research assignment with at least five years of postdoctoral research experience.
* Provide an official Acceptance Letter from a department, laboratory or institute at USM. Requests for acceptance must be directed to the Dean, Institute of Graduate Studies, USM (Prof. R. Hashim: by e-mail [email protected]) who will facilitate assignment of a host supervisor. In contacting Prof. Hashim applicants must accompany their request for a preliminary acceptance letter with copy of their CV and a research proposal outline.
* Provide evidence of proficiency in English.
Submitting your application
* Download the application form from the link at the bottom of the page (unter “related content”).
* The deadline for receipt of applications is 15 September 2010.
* Applicants should submit the acceptance letter from a USM school/department and TWAS when applying or by the deadline at the latest. Without preliminary acceptance, the application will not be considered for selection.
* Reference letters: Referees must send signed letters as attachments via e-mail directly to TWAS and USM The subject line must contain: USM/VS/ candidate’s surname. Alternatively, letters should be sent by post in sealed envelopes.
* Applicants to the TWAS-USM Visiting Scholar Fellowship Programme should send their application to TWAS and USM.
* Applicants should be aware that they can apply for only one fellowship per year. With the exception of the fellowships “for research collaboration”, all other fellowship programmes offered by TWAS and TWOWS that are mutually exclusive.
* Incomplete/unsigned applications will NOT be accepted. This also applies to submissions by fax and electronic mail which must include all enclosures and be signed (either digitally or by including a scanned signature).
* Applications will ONLY be acknowledged when processed.
* Successful candidates will be notified by February of the year following the application.
Click on the links below to download the application form and guidelines. Before applying it is recommended that you read very carefully the application guidelines for detailed information on eligibility criteria, deadlines and other key requirements of the application procedure.
TWAS Fellowships Office
ICTP campus, Strada Costiera 11
34151 Trieste, Italy
Tel: +39 040 2240 314
Fax: +39 040 2240 689
E-mail: [email protected]
Prof. Roshada Hashim, Dean
Institute of Graduate Studies
Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM)
11800 Penang, Malaysia
Tel: +60 4 6532 930
Fax: +60 4 6532 931
Email: [email protected]