UC Berkeley is offering an open online course on Academic and Business Writing. This course is designed for English Language Learners, focusing on essay development, grammatical correctness, and self-editing.
In this four week course, applicants will learn to write statements of purpose and develop a professional writing style. The course will starts on July 2, 2019.
User Review( votes)
Course At A Glance
Length: 4 weeks
Effort: 4-5 hours/week
Institution: UC Berkeley and edX
Certificate Available: Yes. Add a Verified Certificate for $49.
Session: Self-Paced or starts on July 2, 2019
Berkeley is offering MOOCs with edX to develop and foster adoption of Small Private Online Courses (SPOCs) on campuses around the world. SPOCs are designed to supplement and enhance the learning experience of on-campus students while providing local faculty with an opportunity for more interactive activities and more time for “high-touch” pedagogy.
This online platform edX provides online courses from the world’s best universities. edX can empower the applicant to build innovative applications, services, and experiences.
About This Course
College Writing 2.3x is the third part of the academic writing course. In this part, the applicant will focus on writing in different disciplines, specifically writing for science and engineering, writing in the humanities, and in the social sciences. There will also be material on writing for job and college applications. The course materials will be offered via readings, videos, and various types of homework assignments. There are suggested optional textbooks for additional writing work. The applicant will participate in online discussions as well as peer review of their writing. The applicant will complete several short writing assignments.
Why Take This Course?
This is a free online course. This MOOC will be offered with Video Transcripts in English. Applicants can get a verified certificate.
–Gain an understanding of writing for science & technology, literature, and the social sciences
-Learn to write statements of purpose and develop a professional writing style
Dr. Sokolik received her PhD in applied linguistics from the University of California, Los Angeles. After her PhD, she did post-doctoral work in Paris, France, and has been a faculty member at Harvard University, MIT, Texas A&M, and Northern Arizona University. She has taught writing and technical communication at UC Berkeley since 1992 and is currently Director of College Writing Programs.
Students should be proficient enough in English to follow an introductory level university course.
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Create an edX account to SignUp
- Choose “Register Now” to get started.
- EdX offers honor code certificates of achievement, verified certificates of achievement, and XSeries certificates of achievement.
- Currently, verified certificates are only available in some courses.
- Once applicant Sign up for a course and activate their account, click on the Login button on the edx.org home page and type in their email address and edX password. This will take them to the dashboard, with access to each of their active courses. (Before a course begins, it will be listed on their dashboard but will not yet have a “view course” option.)