Australian Government is inviting applications for the United Nations Human Rights Council/Universal Period Review Internship Program in Geneva. Interns will learn first-hand how the foreign service functions and gain a useful understanding of the diplomatic protocol. To become eligible for the program applicants must be an Australian citizen.
- Field of Internship: Applicants should contribute to advancing Australia’s national interests in the UN and will learn first-hand how the foreign service functions and gain a useful understanding of the diplomatic protocol.
- Course Level: Internship
- Internship Provider: Australian Government
- An internship can be taken in Geneva (Switzerland)
User Review( votes)
- be an Australian citizen (this is a mandatory requirement);
- possess relevant qualifications and background with preference being given to those who have completed, or are completing, tertiary studies in areas such as political science, international relations, international law, international security, defence studies, science and technology, human rights or international development;
- have prior exposure to, or demonstrated knowledge of, the United Nations system (highly desirable although not essential);
- have an interest in human rights, disarmament and/or the other areas of work covered by the Australian Mission, and be able to demonstrate this
- be willing to undergo a mandatory police check; and
- be willing to relocate to Geneva for a period of up to five months, on a primarily self-funded basis, which includes arrangements and costs for travel, visa, accommodation, and health insurance.
Internship Open for International Students: Applicants must be an Australian citizen to become eligible for this internship program.
Is this paid internship? No, this is a self-funded internship program. The Mission is not able to provide financial assistance to successful applicants. Applicants are responsible for their own travel, visa, accommodation, and health insurance arrangements. Be prepared: the cost of living is high in Geneva. Be prepared for a cost of AUD$2,000-$3,000 per month in addition to their flights.
A number of awards offered: The number of awards internship offered is three.
Internship Duration: The internship programs take place three times a year: February-March, May-June and September-October.
How to Apply: To apply applicants will need to send a letter of application together with your resume and complete a questionnaire. Please keep the answers concise: they should be less than 1/2 page per question/response. Applications for the Internship Program should include a covering letter, CV, the completed internship questionnaire and letter from their university (if they are a student). All applications should be emailed to un.geneva-at-dfat.gov.au.
Application Deadline: March 20-March 23, 2020