The University of Leeds is offering a free online course on Exploring Cancer Medicines. This course is part of the Going to University collection which has been specifically designed for schools and colleges.
In this two-week course, applicants will explore the use of medicines in treating cancer and take your first steps towards becoming a science writer.
User Review( votes)
Course At Glance
Length: 2 weeks
Effort: 2 hours/week
Subject: Exploring Cancer Medicines
Institution: University of Leeds and Future learn
Certificate Available: Yes
As one of the UK‡s largest research-based universities, the University of Leeds is a member of the prestigious Russell Group and a centre of excellence for teaching.
About This Course
You will research the use and development of cancer medicines, focusing on chemotherapy. In addition, through an exploration of how science is communicated to the general public, you will also look at the skills you need to become an effective science writer.
Why Take This Course?
This is a free online course. This MOOC will be offered with Video Transcripts in English. Applicants can get a verified certificate.
- Reflect on what cancer chemotherapy is and how it was developed.
- Identify resources which can be used to find out more about the developments in cancer medicines.
- Compare examples of science writing, and identify angles and target audiences.
- Investigate current developments in cancer medicines and discuss potential future approaches to treatment.
- Produce a short blog post about future directions in cancer medicine treatments.
This course is part of the Going to University collection which has been specifically designed for schools and colleges. The course can be used as a teachers‡ classroom enrichment resource or can be studied independently by students.
Richard Foster is an academic at the University of Leeds (School of Chemistry) researching the development of new medicines to treat cancer and other diseases.
Paul Taylor is a Professor at the University of Leeds. I’m Director of Student Education for Chemistry and research on cancer & evolution
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Sign Up At FutureLearn
- Select a course and Join
- Once a course has started, applicant will be able to access the course material
- After the start date, students will be able to access the course by following the Go To Course link on My Courses page.
- Applicants can buy, to show that they have completed a FutureLearn course.
- On some FutureLearn courses, learners will be able to pay to take an exam to qualify for a Statement of Attainment. (These are university-branded, printed certificates that provide proof of learning on the course topic(s)).