The University of Queensland (UQ) is offering free online course on English Grammar and Style. WRITE101x aims to introduce applicant to key concepts and strategies related to grammar and style.
This 8-week course covers grammatical principles, word usage, writing style, punctuation and sentence and paragraph structure.
Course At A Glance
Length: 8 weeks
Effort: 4 hours/week
Institution: University of Queensland (UQ) and edX
Certificate Available: Yes Add a Verified Certificate for $99
The University of Queensland (UQ), Australia, is one of the world’s premier teaching and research institutions. Striving for excellence through the creation, preservation, transfer and application of knowledge UQ rank in the top 50 Universities as measured by the QS World University Rankings. UQ is one of only three Australian members of the global Universitas 21 and a founding member of the Group of Eight (Go8) universities. UQ is recognised for its world standard specialised research and teaching excellence; having won more Australian Awards for University Teaching than any other in the country.
About This Course
With the rise of social media and the Internet, many people are writing more today for different mediums than ever before. University shall present materials that cover grammatical principles, word usage, writing style, sentence, and paragraph structure, and punctuation. University shall introduce applicant to some marvelous resources that we have annotated for their guidance. University shall show you video clips of interviews conducted with distinguished grammarians, challenge them with quizzes and writing activities that will give applicants strategies to help them to build skills that will enhance the quality of their writing, and invite them to participate in discussions and assess the work of their peers.
Why Take This Course?
This is a free online course. This MOOC will be offered with Video Transcripts in English. Applicants can get a verified certificate.
- How to reliably identify the roles and relationships of words in a sentence
- Mastery of grammatical concepts and syntactical strategies
- How to apply this knowledge to produce coherent, economical, and compelling writing
- Skills in critiquing and editing their own and others’ writing
Associate Professor Roslyn Petelin convenes the post-graduate Writing, Editing, & Publishing (WEP) Program in the School of Communication and Arts.
Amber Gwynne is a researcher, writer, and editor currently working on a Ph.D. at The University of Queensland.
Megan Porter likes poetry, science fiction, and learning new things, though not necessarily in that order. She has recently achieved a Master of Arts at the University of Queensland, and now tutors the next crop of aspiring writers.
English as a first language
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Create an edX account to SignUp
- Choose “Register Now” to get started.
- EdX offers honor code certificates of achievement, verified certificates of achievement, and XSeries certificates of achievement. Currently, verified certificates are only available in some courses.
- Once applicant sign up for a course and activate their account, click on the Log In button on the edx.org homepage and type in their email address and edX password. This will take them to the dashboard, with access to each of their active courses. (Before a course begins, it will be listed on their dashboard but will not yet have a “view course” option.)