The University of Queensland is offering free online course on Tropical Coastal Ecosystems. Students will go on to explore the challenges these ecosystems are facing such as overfishing, coastal pollution, ocean warming and acidification, then learn about some techniques being used to tackle these problems. Lectures will be delivered by leading experts.
In this nine-week course, applicants will take the challenge and understand problems and solutions to managing tropical coastal ecosystems.
User Review( vote)
Course At A Glance
Length: 9 weeks
Effort: 4-5 hours pw
Subject: Biology & Life Sciences
Institution: University of Queensland and edx
Certificate Available: Yes, Add a Verified Certificate for $99
The University of Queensland (UQ), Australia, is one of the world’s premier teaching and research institutions. Striving for excellence through the creation, preservation, transfer and application of knowledge UQ ranks in the top 50 Universities as measured by the QS World University Rankings.
About This Course
Do you want to develop the skills and knowledge needed to help preserve tropical coastal ecosystems? These habitats provide goods and services for hundreds of millions of people but human activities have led to their global decline.
Why Take This Course?
The course concludes with an innovative virtual ecology project, where you will have the option to take part in a citizen science project. Join us on an exciting journey, as you develop new knowledge and skills, during this beautiful and engaging course!
- A basic understanding of the value, vulnerability, dynamics and sustainable management of tropical coastal ecosystems
- Basic experimental design skills plus some simple analytical and statistical techniques
- An understanding and appreciation of the local and global threats to tropical coastal ecosystems
- An understanding and practical use of spatial planning tools
- The process of designing and implementing an experiment in a virtual ecology project
Director of the Global Change Institute (GCI) and Professor of Marine Science
University of Queensland in Brisbane, Australia
High school science recommended
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Create an edX account to SignUp
- Choose “Register Now” to get started.
- EdX offers honor code certificates of achievement, verified certificates of achievement, and XSeries certificates of achievement. Currently, verified certificates are only available in some courses.
- Once applicant sign up for a course and activate their account, click on the Log In button on the edx.org homepage and type in their email address and edX password. This will take them to the dashboard, with access to each of their active courses. (Before a course begins, it will be listed on their dashboard but will not yet have a “view course” option.)