Applications are invited for Visiting PhD Fellowship – an opportunity to further your thesis in an international research institute at UNU-WIDER for their PhD dissertation or thesis research, and to work with our researchers in areas of mutual interest.
The United Nations University World Institute for Development Economics Research provides economic analysis and policy advice with the aim of promoting sustainable and equitable development for all.
User Review( votes)
- Application Deadline: March 31 and September 30 each year
- Course Level: This is a visiting PhD fellowship programme.
- Study Subject: Visiting Scholars Programme gives qualified scholars an opportunity to research topics related to the development and/or global economic issues, and to participate in UNU-WIDER activities.
- Scholarship Award: UNU-WIDER provides a travel grant to cover the costs of travel to and from the location of your Ph.D. granting institution, medical insurance (for medical and hospital services resulting from sickness and accident during your stay at UNU-WIDER), and a monthly stipend of EUR 1,600 to cover living expenses in Helsinki during the period of their fellowship. The programme does not cover expenses related to dependents.
- Nationality: Applicants from developing countries are eligible.
- Number of Scholarships: The Visiting PhD Fellowship Programme is highly competitive and only a limited number of fellows can be accepted. In recent years, one percent of all applications have been successful.
- Scholarship can be taken in Helsinki, Finland
Eligibility for the Scholarship:
Eligible Countries: Applicants from developing countries are eligible.
Entrance Requirements: To be eligible for this scholarship you must meet the following requirements:
- Applicants must be enrolled in a PhD programme and have shown the ability to conduct research on developing economies. The programme is especially addressed to researchers at later stages of their PhD Candidates working in other social sciences than economics may apply but should keep in mind that UNU-WIDER is an economics-focused institute. Candidates should be fluent in both oral and written English and possess good quantitative and/or qualitative analytical skills.
- While the programme is open to everyone who is enrolled in a Ph.D., we particularly encourage applications from female and developing country researchers.
English Language Requirements: Candidates should be fluent in both oral and written English and possess good quantitative and/or qualitative analytical skills.
How to Apply: UNU-WIDER only receives online applications for the Visiting Ph.D. Fellowship Programme twice each year. Deadlines for submission of applications are 31 March and 30 September 23:59 UTC+3 each year. When applying in September, you would be visiting UNU-WIDER in the period of February-June of the following year and when applying in March, you would be visiting UNU-WIDER in the period of August-November of the same year.
You are required to upload the following documents in PDF:
- Your research proposal and
- Your Curriculum Vitae (CV), including a list of your principal publications, if applicable (co-authors, year, title and publisher).
In addition, please note that your supervisor must provide UNU-WIDER with a letter of reference which should be emailed (by your supervisor) to the following address: phdreference(at)wider.unu.edu.