Applications are invited for Vienna Doctoral School in Physics open calls for PhD Scholarships in various different research groups working in experimental, theoretical or computational physics. Applicants of all nationalities are eligible to apply for this scholarship.
The aim of the scholarship is to provide financial help to international students.
The Vienna Doctoral School in Physics (VDS Physics) offers doctoral training across all key research areas of the Faculty of Physics at the University of Vienna. They are committed to excellence in research.
- Applications Deadline: The VDS Physics opens calls for doctoral fellowships throughout the year. The hearings usually take place in Mid January, April, July and October.
- Course Level: Fellowships are available to pursue PhD programme.
- Study Subject: Fellowships are awarded in experimental, theoretical or computational physics.
- Scholarship Award: As a VDS fellow, you will have a regular employment at the University of Vienna and you will be part of a visible community of young scientists. We offer numerous academic and social activities to connect you with your peers, professors and international scientists. We also offer some travel grants to support students attending international conferences and summer schools.
- Nationality: Available to international students.
- Number of Scholarships: Numbers not gievn
- Scholarship can be taken in Austria
Eligibility for the Scholarship:
Eligible Countries: This fellowship is available to international students.
Entrance Requirements: Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- We seek highly qualified candidates who are eager to pursue cutting-edge research in physics.
- VDS Fellowsare selected according to their academic excellence, scientific achievements, expected potential for future research, independent of gender, race, religion or nationality.
- VDS Fellowsare expected to be committed to the scientific goals and activities in VDS. They shall act as responsible members of the team and society and take an active role in the organization of VDS activities.
English Language Requirements: Applicants whose first language is not English are usually required to provide evidence of proficiency in English at the higher level required by the University.
How to Apply: Admission to the VDS program is a three-stage process:
1) Online application
Candidates are invited to provide their application documents via the online submission system.
They are requested to inform their academic advisors that these need to upload their recommendations via this link. These recommendations will be treated confidentially and they will not be shared with the applicants.
All candidates will be notified of the decision of the pre-selection committee.
2) Hearing in Vienna
Short-listed candidates will be invited to a two-day hearing in Vienna. The candidates will be asked to give short presentations and to participate in interviews with the selection committee. The candidates will have the opportunity to visit the VDS Physics research groups, inform themselves about the research projects, meet their potential supervisors and fellow students.
Selection in this second stage is based on academic achievements, scientific promise and research personality as well as the commitment to actively contribute to the community building goals of the VDS. The University of Vienna is an equal opportunity employer. Doctoral candidates will be considered independent of gender, race, religion or nationality.
The short-listed candidates will be notified of the final decision of the selection committee shortly after the hearing and can start their PhD any time of the year, upon agreement with their supervisor.
Acceptance to the Doctoral school of Physics terminates after about one year, unless it is extended by step 3.
3) Faculty-open presentation of the research project
All doctoral students at the University of Vienna must present their research project in front of the faculty, before the end of the first year of their PhD studies.
There are two such presentation days, one each around the end of the winter and the summer term.
Upon successful acceptance at this 3rd stage VDS students become full members in the VDS program and will be listed as doctoral fellows of the University of Vienna to visibly recognize that they have passed the same competitive selection procedure.