Applications are invited for Fellowships for Ph.D. by Research programme in Humanities and Social Sciences to study in Uganda. Funding is available for a three-year-fulltime programme of study for qualifying candidates to pursue studies leading to the award of a Ph.D. in disciplines under the College of Humanities and Social Sciences Makerere University.
Established in 1922 as a humble technical school, Makerere University is one of the oldest and most prestigious Universities in Africa. In January of that year, the school, which was later renamed Uganda Technical College, opened its doors to 14-day students who began studying Carpentry, Building, and Mechanics.
User Review( votes)
Applicants whose first language is not English are usually required to provide evidence of proficiency in English at the higher level required by the University.
- Application Deadline: February 16, 2018
- Course Level: The studentships are available to pursue Ph.D. by research programme.
- Study Subject: Funding is available for a three-year-fulltime programme of study for qualifying candidates to pursue studies leading to the award of a Ph.D. in disciplines under the College of Humanities and Social Sciences Makerere University.
- Award: It is a fully-funded three-year programme of study with generous financial support from the Andrew W Mellow Foundation. The sponsorship will cover the following costs: living expenses, accommodation, medical insurance, a laptop computer, critical books, data processing/analysis, photocopying and fieldwork related costs. The maximum value of the program for the 2018 Fellows is approximately UGX 45,290,000 in the first year, UGX 45,290,000 in the second year and UGX 41,790,000 in the third year. In the second year of study, the Fellow and his or her supervisors will apply for Fieldwork funding to enable them to conduct research and collect data in the field.
- Nationality: International students
- Number of Awards: Up to seven fellowships are available.
- The award can be taken in Uganda
- Eligible Countries: International students are eligible to apply for this application programme.
- Entrance Requirements: The eligible candidates should:
Have practical research experience from working in Humanities and Social Sciences research projects at a University or Research Institute and a strong foundation in scientific writing and research methods.
Be a full time or part time member of staff in the College of Humanities and Social SciencesMakerere University (please attach your appointment letter as proof of your employment status at Makerere University). The specific schools of CHUSS whose staff are eligible are Social Sciences; Women and Gender Studies; Liberal and Performing Arts; Languages, Literature and Communication and the School of Psychology
Be a holder of Masters Degree in Humanities and Social Sciences from a recognized university. The Master’s degree must have been completed not less than ten years at the time of application.
Be a holder of an undergraduate degree in Humanities and Social Science from a recognized university with a Second Upper Class or above.
Satisfy all the Makerere UniversityGraduate admissions regulations and criteria.
Provide two letters from two academic referees who are intimately familiar with his/her work recommending his/her application. It is important that the referees give the recommendation letter to the applicant to scan and send it with his or her application.
Preference will be given to applicants with a maximum age of 40 years (men) or 45 years (women) before April 2018.
Qualified female candidates are especially encouraged to apply.
- English Language Requirements: Applicants whose first language is not English are usually required to provide evidence of proficiency in English at the higher level required by the University.
How to Apply: The complete application form and supporting documents must be submitted by Friday, 16th February 2018 to the following email addresses:
graduate.college-at-chuss.mak.ac.ug with copy to principal-at-chuss.mak.ac.ug.