Applications are now open for EDGE Marie Sklodowska-Curie Fellowships for postdoctoral candidates wishing to relocate to Ireland, establish a more permanent base here or return after working overseas. Applicants of all nationalities are eligible to apply.
EDGE welcome applications from candidates who have had career breaks and are looking to return to a research-based career and from candidates who have had a non-traditional career path including those who have built up research experience but who may not have a PhD.
User Review( votes)
EDGE is Marie Sklodowska-Curie COFUND Action, led by Trinity College Dublin on behalf of a group of academic institutions from across Ireland. EDGE will offer 71 prestigious Fellowships for experienced researchers (post-doctoral or equivalent) relocating to Ireland over two calls for proposals. EDGE is also a training and development programme for scientific excellence, offering a unique combination of interdisciplinary research themes, career development opportunities and industry engagement to the community of Fellows we recruit.
- Applications Deadline: November 1, 2018
- Course Level: Fellowships are available to pursue Postdoctoral programme.
- Study Subject: The proposal should relate to the broad area of Information and Communications Technology, which covers materials, systems and data. This will ensure it falls within one of the three themes of the Programme (Digital Content Innovations, Advanced Materials and BioEngineering or Future Networks and Communications) from which you should select one of the given research sub-fields. The specific topic of the proposal should fall within the research expertise of your chosen Supervisor. EDGE invites proposals across the Information Communication Technology domain, under 3 themes:
- Future Networks and Communications
- Digital Content & Media Technologies
- Advanced Materials and Bioengineering
- Scholarship Award: Each Fellowship will be awarded such that their employer (an Irish Higher Education Institute) could offer a yearly gross salary (i.e. before employee tax and statutory deductions) in a range between €33,500 and €56,600, depending on the level of Fellowship – for more details please go to the Guide for Applicants. The precise amount may vary a little above or below this, depending on conditions of the employing institute – for information on the total award amount before all deductions, see the Terms and Conditions. Additionally, each Fellow will also receive as part of their annual salary, a mobility allowance of €6,500 to compensate for the requirement to move to Ireland, and if eligible, a family allowance of €5,400 if applicable. The Fellowship will also fund the host institute to support research costs of €13,000 to Fellows in the Advanced Materials and BioEngineering theme and €7,200 to Fellows in either the Digital Content Innovations or Future Networks and Communications themes.
- Nationality: Applicants must be of any nationality.
- Number of Scholarships: EDGE planned to fund 71 Fellowships in total. 29 were awarded in the first call, while 14 Fellowships were awarded in Round 2 of proposals, leaving at least 28 available in the Final Call. Should more funding become available, (e.g. if awardees leave their positions early), more Fellowships may be awarded.
- Scholarship can be taken in Ireland
Eligibility for the Scholarship:
Eligible Countries: Applicants must be of any nationality.
Entrance Requirements: Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Maybe of any nationality
- Must be fluent in English (written and spoken)
- Must comply with the Transnational Mobility Rule: at the time of recruitment by the host organisation, researchers must not have resided or carried out their main activity (work, studies, etc.) in Ireland for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately prior to the reference date: April 3rd 2017 (First Call). Compulsory national service and/or short stays such as holidays are not taken into account
- Must be Experienced Researchers as per the Marie Sklodowska-Curie Actions definition: at the time of recruitment, applicants must be in possession of a doctoral degree or, if the applicant has/does not have a doctoral degree, they should have at least 4 years of full-time equivalent research experience (Full-Time Equivalent Research Experience is measured from the date when a researcher obtained the degree which would allow them to pursue a PhD)
- Must, in addition, at the time of recruitment, either:
- Have less than 4 years’ additional postdoctoral research experience to be eligible for a Level 1 fellowship
- Have 4 or more years’ additional postdoctoral research experience to be eligible for a Level 2 fellowship
- Have 6 or more years’ additional postdoctoral research experience to be eligible for a Level 3 fellowship
The additional postdoc experience is full time, measured from the date that the PhD was secured through the successful defence, or from when the 4-year full-time equivalence was obtained.
English Language Requirements: Applicants must be fluent in English (written and spoken).
How to Apply: Applications for the EDGE Programme are only to be accepted through the online application system, which will be open on the Programme website during the submission phase of each Call. In exceptional circumstances, hardcopy or email applications may be accepted.