The Centre for Genomic Regulation (CRG) is inviting applications for International PhD Fellowships Programme. These fellowships will be awarded to highly talented and motivated students with outstanding qualifications to carry out PhD in biomedicine at the CRG.
The mission of the CRG is to discover and advance knowledge for the benefit of society, public health and economic prosperity.
The Centre for Genomic Regulation (CRG) is an international biomedical research institute of excellence, created in December 2000. It is a non-profit foundation funded by the Catalan Government through the Departments of Economy & Knowledge and Health, the Spanish Ministry of Economy and Competitiveness, the “la Caixa” Banking Foundation, and includes the participation of Pompeu Fabra University.
- Application Deadline: Open
- Course Level: Fellowships are available for pursuing PhD programme.
- Study Subject: Successful candidates will join research groups with top-level scientists and will carry out their research in one of the following scientific fields: Bioinformatics, Genomics and Population Genomics, including methods and technology development, data integration, systems modelling and deep learning in the areas of genomics, proteomics, image bioinformatics, single-cell omics, and high throughput functional screens.Medical Genomics, including clinical and statistical genetics, medical and single-cell genomics, molecular mechanisms of disease and disease heterogeneity, and evolutionary medicine.Systems Biology and Genomics, including systems neurobiology, quantitative cell biology, cellular dynamics, algorithms, methods and technology development, data integration and visualization, imaging, synthetic biology, deep learning applied to biology and human health, and single-cell biology.Cell Biology, mechanistic and novel approaches to understand the process of cell compartmentation, division, growth, and tissue organization.Cellular Decision Making and Interactions, including stem cell biology, host-microbiome interactions, differentiation and disease, evolution, and immunology.
- Award: For this call, the following grants will be offered:
- 4 fellowships through the “Contratos predoctoral Severo-Ochoa para la Formación de doctores” 2021 call funded by the MINECO (“Ministerio de Economía y Competitividad”). (herein referred to as Severo Ochoa Grants).
- Up to 6 fellowships associated with the “Proyectos I+D Excelencia/Retos” 2021 Call funded by MINECO (herein referred to as FPI-Project Grants).
- 3 fellowships through the Chromdesign “Innovative Training Network” (herein referred to as ITN Grants) to Luciano Di Croce lab (2) and to Marc Martí-Renom lab (1). Candidates for these positions must undertake trans-national mobility, which means that candidates must not have resided or carried out their main activity (work, studies, etc.) in Spain for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately prior to the call
Selected PhD students will receive an annual work contract with a competitive salary that will be renewed annually for a maximum of 4 years ( 3-year contract for ITNs) following the applicable national regulations. All PhD students will receive full health and occupational insurance coverage and will be included in the Spanish Social Security System. Training and other benefits
CRG fellows will benefit from the CRG Research and Training Programme, which includes:
- International scientific environment. CRG is located in Barcelona Biomedical Research Park (PRBB), a cluster for biomedical research in southern Europe, which includes several other biomedical research institutions and more than 1000 researchers
- Advanced research training (training-through research, specific scientific and technology courses and a variety of CRG seminars and CRG/PRBB conferences with international invited speakers)
- Career development activities ([email protected], INTERVALS Programme offered to PRBB residents)
- Cutting- edge advanced core facilities
- Other initiatives and activities organised by the PRBB and CRG
- Student community activities (Annual Retreat & Annual Symposium)
- Number of Awards: Not Known
- Nationality: Any nationality
- The award can be taken in Spain
- Eligible Countries: Candidates of any nationality can apply for these PhD fellowships.
- Entrance Requirements: Candidates should fulfil the following eligibility criteria at the time of the call deadline. If it becomes clear before, during or after the evaluation phase that one or more of the eligibility criteria have not been fulfilled, the proposal is declared ineligible and is withdrawn from any further examination.
- The call is open to candidates of any nationality.
- Candidates must have obtained a University Degree and a Masters Degree in biomedical sciences within the European Higher Education System (minimum 300 ECTS) or an equivalent University Degree that allows starting a PhD thesis in the candidate’s home country by October 2021. Candidates who expect to be awarded such degree by October 2021 are eligible to apply.
- Candidates must have an excellent academic record, previous research experience and a strong commitment to scientific research.
- Candidates must have high working knowledge of English.
- Candidates invited to previous PhD call interviews are not eligible.
- Preferably, candidates may not have worked at the CRG for more than 6 months before the call deadline.
How to Apply
- Applications must be submitted online.
- Candidates must register in order to use the online application system.
- The online application form requests all of the necessary information for the initial stages of the selection process (General information, Education, Coursework, Honours, scholarships, prizes and awards, research experience, scientific interests and reference letters.)
- If the academic transcripts are not in Catalan, Spanish or English applicants should also attach a translation in one of the above-mentioned languages.
- Applicants should select a minimum of 2 labs and a maximum of 5 in which they would like to work.
- Two reference letters will be automatically requested to the referees proposed by the candidate through the online system.
- Candidates must ensure that all information is included before the deadline, including the reference letters. Incomplete proposals will not be considered.
- English Language Requirements: Candidates must have a high working knowledge of English. Applicants need to demonstrate that they have a good level of written and spoken English.