To provide financial support for promising young people in Hong Kong who are looking to pursue scientific research at postdoctoral and doctoral levels, Croucher Foundation has established its Croucher Scholarships for Doctoral Study for the academic year 2022-2023.
Students who are permanent residents of Hong Kong and want to pursue full-time study or research in natural sciences, medicine, or technology in approved academic institutions outside Hong Kong are eligible to apply for this scholarship. The students must hold Class Honours or equivalent qualifications to be considered. The candidates selected can expect a fully funded experience, including airfare, relocation allowance, child support, and more.
Great offer for students to complete their PhD study in Hong Kong
User Review( votes)
The Croucher Foundation is an independent private foundation established by the late Noel Croucher in 1979 to promote the standard of natural sciences, technology and medicine in Hong Kong. Noel Croucher entrusted the governance of his Foundation to the discretion of a Board of Trustees. Lord Todd, the Nobel Laureate and Master of Christ’s College, Cambridge was the founding President of the Foundation.
The work of the Croucher Foundation is organized into five broad areas, that are, scholarships and fellowships for promising young Hong Kong scientists and medical doctors to pursue research overseas, research fellowships to enable scientists in Hong Kong to pursue their intellectual inclinations, and to engage in bold new work, conferences, workshops, and collaborative research to facilitate the exchange of ideas between Hong Kong scientists and their counterparts overseas, demonstration lectures to promote a wider understanding of science among Hong Kong school students and undergraduate students, and support for any undergraduate or postgraduate student in Hong Kong experiencing sudden financial difficulty.
Application Deadline: Applications must be submitted by 5 p.m. (Hong Kong time) on 15th November 2022 at the latest.
- University or Organization: Croucher Foundation
- Department: NA
- Course Level: PhD
- Award: Stipend and more
- Number of Awards: NA
- Access Mode: Online
- Nationality: Domestic
- The award can be taken in Hong Kong.
- Eligible Countries: All students from Hong Kong are eligible to apply.
- Eligible Course or Subjects: Students can undertake a PhD study in natural sciences, medicine, or technology in approved academic institutions outside Hong Kong.
- Eligibility Criteria: To be eligible, the applicants must meet all the following/given criteria:
- The applicants must be permanent residents of Hong Kong.
How to Apply
- How to Apply: Admission applications must be made via the online portals of their respective institutes. Interested applicants must send an email to [email protected], attaching the supporting documents to apply for this position.
- Supporting Documents: The students are required to present the following documents to the university:
- a copy of their employment offer letter
- a copy of their PhD certificate
- a brief research proposal
- reference letters
- academic transcripts
- Admission Requirements: The applicants must have obtained First Class Honours or equivalent qualifications in their first degree.
- Language Requirement: The students must submit scores of English language proficiency tests such as IELTS, TOEFL, PTE, Duolingo, etc.
The Croucher Foundation will provide the following to the winning candidates:
- Applicants have an annual maintenance allowance which is set at USD30,300 per annum;
- a one-way economy class airfare at both the beginning and end of tenure;
- tuition fees and college fees (where applicable);
- a one-off arrival allowance of USD1,000 to cover the costs of arriving in a new country during the first year of tenure;
- an academic development allowance of up to USD2,000 per annum to allow Croucher Scholarship recipients to attend conferences, workshops, or courses during the tenure of their awards;
- a medical insurance allowance of up to USD2,000 per annum to cover medical insurance costs;
- A family allowance of up to USD16,000 per annum for the first child and up to USD6,800 per annum for every additional child who resides with the scholar during the entire duration of the award;
- a commencement award of USD7,575 to be offered towards the end of doctoral studies to cover the cost of thesis preparation and travel expenses for scholars and their family members for attending their graduation ceremonies; and
- A science education allowance to offer support to those Croucher award recipients particularly interested in science education through well-designed activities and projects in schools and the wider community. Interested scholars are invited to submit proposals to the Foundation for consideration of a programme of activities designed to involve school students, teachers, families, and other non-specialist audiences in dialogue and debate within the tenure of their awards.