Applications are invited for Mellon Postdoctoral Fellowships at McGill University in Canada for the academic year 2019-20. Two Mellon Postdoctoral Fellowships will be awarded to promising young scholars in the Humanities.
The Mellon Postdoctoral Fellowships aim to attract scholars from outside McGill.
User Review( votes)
McGill University is a public research university in Canada. McGill offers degrees and diplomas in over 300 fields of study, with the highest average admission requirements of any Canadian university.
Applications Deadline: November 26, 2018
Course Level: Fellowships are available to pursue Postdoctoral programme.
Study Subject: Fellowships are awarded to promising young scholars in the Humanities.
Award: The Fellowship consists of the following remunerations:
- Annual salary of $52,000 CAD
- Enrollment in the McGill University employee benefits program
- Annual research allowance of $8,500
- Annual allowance to invite a visiting speaker up to $2,500
- One-time relocation allowance expenses of $1,000
Fellows may be considered for teaching one course per year during the tenure of their Fellowship, contingent upon availability. Those who teach will be paid an additional teaching salary of approximately $8,220 per course.Fellows are provided with office space by their host department.
Nationality: International students
Number of Awards: Two fellowships are available.
The award can be taken in the Canada
- Eligible Countries: International applicants are eligible to apply for this fellowship programme.
- Entrance Requirements: Applicants must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Must have fulfilled all degree requirements for a PhD between June 1, 2016 and June 1, 2019 (inclusive); Applicants who have not yet received their PhD degree at the time of application must include in their application a letter from their Department Chair specifying the date of their doctoral thesis defense.
- Must propose a research project based in the Humanities (interdisciplinary applications are welcome).
The Fellowship offer will be withdrawn if a successful applicant does not complete all degree requirements for the PhD by June 1, 2019.
- English Language Requirements: Applicants must have a very good knowledge of written and spoken English is required; this should be supported by a valid English proficiency test certificate.
How to Apply:
Applicants must secure support from a full-time McGill faculty member in one of the eligible departments listed above, who will act as their immediate supervisor during their Fellowship tenure. An application must include a letter from the faculty member indicating a clear commitment to act as the applicant’s supervisor. Please note that each supervisor may sponsor only one candidate.
Applications must be submitted through Academic Jobs Online (AJO) by Monday, November 26, 2018.
We thank all applicants for their interest in McGill University and the Mellon Postdoctoral Fellowship. However, only the applicants selected for the Fellowship will be contacted.
Application materials required:
- A one-page research statement detailing the proposed project
- A full curriculum vitae
- A copy of all university graduate transcripts (to be uploaded by the applicant); McGill may request that official transcripts be sent at a later date
- A copy of your doctoral diploma, or a letter from your Department Chair specifying the date of your PhD defense
- A writing sample, not to exceed 20 pages (an extract from your PhD thesis, a published work, or a draft of a work in progress)
- Two letters of recommendation (to be uploaded by the referees)
- A letter of support from your proposed supervisor in the Faculty of Arts at McGill (to be uploaded by the supervisor); Please include your proposed McGill supervisor in your list of referees on AJO. The supervisor is in addition to the two other referees.